Headstage Arrow 3G Configurations? Advice needed.
May 25, 2011 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nightslayer

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the headstage Arrow 3G for quite a while now, and it amps my 1964-Ts and Grados perfectly well. The only problem I have with it is that I don't see myself making full use of the settings at all, with a (seemingly default) setting of 0 Bass, 0 Crossfeed, I gain and 0 Impedance. I have heard people say that they never realized this amp's full potential before playing around with the settings, but when adjusting the settings any switch I adjusted seemed to detract from rather than add something to the sound. From what I hear, the Bass adds bass, the Crossfeed loses some as well as a bit of the "air" in the track, the impedance cuts hiss but trebles as well and makes everything sound rather muffled in general, and gain seems to be an overall volume boost (does it have any difference as compared to an equivalent increase in the volume control pot?).

So I have a few questions, firstly:
1. Anyone uses configurations on the arrow other than the default one, with what headphones?
2. What exactly do the switches do to the sound?

May 26, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Bump. Anyone with the Headstage arrow and willing to chime in?

May 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
... I have heard people say that they never realized this amp's full potential before playing around with the settings...

I think your basic premise here is incorrect.  The Arrow has a number of different settings that are designed to allow a variety of headphones to work "best," and to allow users to tailor the sound to their personal preferences.  To say the amp's full potential is unrealized when using "default" settings is, well, silly.  If anything, I'd say the amp works best with the switches either off or at the lowest settings, activating a switch, say increasing the bass, takes away from the amp's full potential.

The best thing to do is to try the different switch settings and find the combination that works best with your headphones, your music and your taste.  There is no right answer.

Personally, I like 0 bass, lowest gain, impedance of 1, no crossfeed.

May 28, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I think your basic premise here is incorrect.  The Arrow has a number of different settings that are designed to allow a variety of headphones to work "best," and to allow users to tailor the sound to their personal preferences.  To say the amp's full potential is unrealized when using "default" settings is, well, silly.  If anything, I'd say the amp works best with the switches either off or at the lowest settings, activating a switch, say increasing the bass, takes away from the amp's full potential.

The best thing to do is to try the different switch settings and find the combination that works best with your headphones, your music and your taste.  There is no right answer.

Personally, I like 0 bass, lowest gain, impedance of 1, no crossfeed.

Just a question, what do you feel the 1 impedance does to the sound? Mine is currently at 0. Furthermore, does anyone know anything of the analog volume pot? Mine has a channel imbalance (only the right side) for the first 5% on the volume pot or so, and around 11-15% of the volume pot the left side and the right side even out. Is there a minimum level on the volume pot before the amp will work as per normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back