Headset with PC - Front Panel vs. direct to Sound Card?
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CubsWIn

New Head-Fier
When connecting a headset to my PC, I am curious whether there is any difference in quality between plugging the headset directly into the back of my sound card (Sound Blaster Z) or plugging it into the jack on the front of my case, which connects to the sound card by a 10-pin connector?

If I plug directly into the back of the sound card, I need to change the settings in the Control Panel to switch to the headset, but if I plug into the front panel it automatically mutes my speakers and sound is directed to the headset automatically.

The front panel is more convenient because I don't need to change any settings to switch over, but am I sacrificing anything by using that?

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Yours does not switch automatically if you plug your headphone in at the back? Mine does. Perhaps if you have the front panel header connected (I don't) it will no longer switch when you plug into the rear.

I don't know whether the front panel connection uses the same or an identical headphone amp, but it does have the disadvantage of having the wire run through your PC case where it could pick up noise from other components. If it's not a hassle to reach behind your PC to plug them in, the back is probably better.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 3
  When connecting a headset to my PC, I am curious whether there is any difference in quality between plugging the headset directly into the back of my sound card (Sound Blaster Z) or plugging it into the jack on the front of my case, which connects to the sound card by a 10-pin connector?
If I plug directly into the back of the sound card, I need to change the settings in the Control Panel to switch to the headset, but if I plug into the front panel it automatically mutes my speakers and sound is directed to the headset automatically.
The front panel is more convenient because I don't need to change any settings to switch over, but am I sacrificing anything by using that?

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the SB-Z.

The cable that runs thru the inside of the computer case, from the SB-Z's 10-pin connector to the front panel jacks, can pick up electrical noise that might be generated inside the computer case.
So plugging the headphones into the SB-Z's back panel jack is preferred.
You can always run a headphone extension cable from the back panel, to your desktop, to make it easier.

If you plug the headphones into the front panel jacks and your ok with the sound quality, then that's fine too.
Also when you plug headphones into the front panel jack, make sure in the SB-Z's control panel it has switched from "Speaker" to Headphones".
I have not used the SB-Z in a long time, so not 100% sure on the control panel settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back