Headset + Speakers at the same time?
Jun 5, 2007 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blind Man

New Head-Fier
Hi all, here is my situation:

I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card, with 2 KRK RP5 studio monitors connected to it and they work fine (and sound great
cool.gif
)..

What I want to do is have my headset connected also, at the moment I only have the Mic on it connected.

-First of all, is there any way to connect my Audio / Mic inputs on the front of my case (Antec Sonata) to my X-Fi card..
-Second of all, what I am really aiming for here is to have only music and game audio coming through the speakers, and things like teamspeak, skype, ventrillo, internet browser/windows sounds etc come through the headset - is this possible at all with analog connections or will I need a USB headset (not a problem to buy) - If I do need a USB headset, is there a program or an easy way to designate TS, etc. to come through only the headset.

Thanks,
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 7
You can setup that up using 2 sound cards or whatever integrated your mobo has and your X-fi.

You have to do it within windows and specify what goes to each card, but that's the only way you can do it.

For example, I had my X-fi running digital out to my DAC and used the mic port on my integrated so I could still have one (X-fi has flexijack)

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7
alright I'll try that then. Will this be a one time thing to setup or will I have to fiddle with settings every time I boot up?

edit: and how do I go about to do this in the first place

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I used to be able to run my headset and speakers using my usb headset and on board sound. The way i did it was set the default audio driver, open the program i wanted to run through the speakers. then i would switch the default audio driver to my headset and open up teamspeak or ventrilo.

I would then have speakers playing music and voices through the headset. The problem was, that i had to do this every time i closed and reopened one of the programs. If there is a way to make this permanent that would rock.

If not i guess i could enable my onboard sound and do it the same way i used to do it but im worried the XP will take a dump on me and go nuts and start causing issues with both installed.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I remember something interesting from the past. One time I was playing Quake and I was using headphones, but I had left the multi-media subwoofer on without realizing it. I remember this added to the experience because I could feel the bass from the rumbling rocket explosions and such, but the important stuff was coming in over the headphones. I don't remember what brand the sub was, but I had replaced the 6.5" paper cone sub with a 6.5" Kicker Freeair. Lol, it was a whole lot better, but I think it was only getting maybe 10-15 real watts from the internal amp. Still have the sub, but the amp and enclosure are long gone.

Anyway, IIRC I was able to do this because I was running an older card back then that had Line-Out and Speaker Out... either that or it was because I was using an external reciever with multiple outputs.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 7
well after much fiddling I seem to have hit a dead end...

X-fi sound -> speakers works fine, mic is plugged into X-fi and works fine

I reenabled onboard audio in bios, installed drivers, set up the teamspeak output device to onboard audio and it worked.. a few hours later I go on ts and I hear nothing, fiddle around with everything (for some reason all the volumes were turned down on it) however I can't get any sound at all coming from the onboard and I have no idea what is wrong

stuff is setup like this: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...udioconfig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back