Headset recommendation for play along
Aug 17, 2022 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mbbs1024

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a headset for play along purposes.
I play the saxophone, and I like to play along with youtube music, and listen to musician apps (metronome, tuner, drones, ...) on my smartphone
A closed headset muffles the sound of my saxophone, a Bluetooth headset introduces a delay that is very annoying when playing along,
playing along using my speakers requires a high sound volume, as the saxophone is not a quiet musical instrument.

So I guess following requirements are needed:
  • Open headset that does not supress environment noises
  • wired, with possibility to connect to 3.5 and 6.3 mm jack outlets
  • Sensitive/loud enough so I don't need an extra headset amplifier
  • Comfortable for people wearing glasses
  • Detachable cable
I saw some headsets that possibly may be suitable.
AKG K-702, AKG K-712 pro (What is the difference between the 2)
Beyerdynamic DT-990 pro sensitivity is lower, will it be enough if connected to smartphone or laptop ?

Which one would best suit my needs an why, or do you recommend another one than the ones I listed ?

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I would not recommend a open back for the same reason you said you would have to do with a speaker system use them at high sound volume as would be the case for open back headphone’s .
I would go with a very good isolating closed back or iem like Etymotic ER2SE and audio interface and mic your sax. This would go a long way to save your hearing in later years. There several Etymotic that can be had for under $90 and a Focusrite Scarlet Solo for $109 and others for much less and probably another $50 or less for a mic.

Aug 18, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 5
I would not recommend a open back for the same reason you said you would have to do with a speaker system use them at high sound volume as would be the case for open back headphone’s .
I would go with a very good isolating closed back or iem like Etymotic ER2SE and audio interface and mic your sax. This would go a long way to save your hearing in later years. There several Etymotic that can be had for under $90 and a Focusrite Scarlet Solo for $109 and others for much less and probably another $50 or less for a mic.
I used to have the same idea, so I tried closed headsets, but that does not work well for me, because it muffles the sound of my saxophone to much.
I want to hear the real saxophone sound when I am playing.
The way to get a good sound out of a saxophone is to hear the full sound and adapt your lip tension and throat and tongue position in order to get the sound you want.
Using a closed headset, I can hear the notes I play , but not the subtleties of sound and the audible feedback you get from it to adapt the saxophone sound palette, going from subtle and warm to barking and bright, depending on what kind of music you play or the mood you are in.

Aug 18, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 5
I used to have the same idea as you have now, so I tried closed headsets, but that does not work well for me, because it muffles the sound of my saxophone to much.
I want to hear the real saxophone sound when I am playing.
The way to get a good sound out of a saxophone is to hear the full sound and adapt your lip tension and throat and tongue position in order to get the sound you want.
Using a closed headset, I can hear the notes I play , but not the subtleties of sound and the audible feedback you get from it to adapt the saxophone sound palette, going from subtle and warm to barking and bright, depending on what kind of music you play or the mood you are in.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Along these lines, I have seen some shots of musicians (even singers) with IEMs during concerts. So I think this is good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back