Headset recommendation for a large head
Oct 9, 2014 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Greg_R

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
   I'm looking for an extremely comfortable sealed headset (headphones + mic) to use for casual music listening and VOIP communications.  

Requirements:
- Must fit my head and be comfortable for multiple hours of continual use.  I have a pair of HD600s and they fit well almost fully extended w. some minor bending of the metal band.  I would consider them comfortable, the ears fit fully inside the cups.
- Durability.  I have a large head and any plastic headbands snap after a few months of use.
- Sound attenuation is important
- Total system <$200
- Must be able to plug into PC using an USB connection. USB sound quality is not a priority (so the cheap $15 USB sound cards are OK here if they can drive the phones)
- I am willing to consider headphone + aftermarket attached microphone options.  
- quick on/off a requirement (IEMs are a non-starter)
- Prefer that looks be appropriate for an office environment (super gamer extreme with 3 colors and lights not ok, white or black headphones OK)
- No external amp will be used

Not critical:
- Sound quality is not as important as durability and comfort
- Size is not important as long as they can fit in a backpack (i.e. HD600 is an OK size)
- Detachable cables, inline volume and mute controls, and other gamer features not important
- All in one solution not required, I'm willing to do some mods (heat shrink 2 cables together, mount a mic on the headphone cups, etc.)

Any suggestions?  i've been considering Audio Technica ATH-A700X + an aftermarket boom mic + $15 USB soundcard. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm fine with that level of sound quality.  Would they fit a large head and are they durable?  I've had a lot of these "plastic around metal band" style adjustments break on me... especially when the cups are fully extended.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 5
My laptop's combo port had previously not played well with Lync.  Either way, it's a <$10 USB soundcard or <$5 cable to convert 3.5mm headphone & mic plugs.  Native USB support is NOT required, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back