headset or headphone + mic?
Nov 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Navulol

New Head-Fier
Hey,
after spending more than 3 weeks of thinking I just can't get to a decision wether I should go for a headset or a headphone + mic combination and which one to go for.
My budget is max 300 bucks and I was having a look at the following headphones:
AKG Q701
Philips fidelio x1
Beyerdynamics DT-990 Pro (32 Ohm or 250 Ohm?Though I don't like the coiled cable and I don't own an amp/dac)
Beyerdynamics MMX 300
Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1
Sennheiser G4ME One
Steelseries H (though I'm really unsure if quality lacks cause it's wireless?)

Overall though I'd really prefer an open design rather than a closed one. Also I'm really unsure if a table microphone like the Samson Meteor Mic can filter out
my mechanical keyboard "clicks" (using mx cherry brown switches) because otherwise I'm pretty much forced to go for a headset or somehow modding the headphones
with a mic clipped on. I'm only using the headphones while gaming though I always listen to music while doing so so I'd really like to have a good sound quality though
I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile I'm really new to these mid-end headphones. I listen to a lot of Drum n Bass and Hip Hop while also enjoying some smoother rock
so I think I'd like some punchier bass in my headphones.

I just really can't decide which headphone + mic combo or headset I should go for I'm also open for some new suggestions.
Thanks in advance for helping me.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Sennheiser HD558 headphones ($120)
Aftermarket cable ($8-$26)  for the HD558 (comes with a 3.5mm plug).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sound Blaster Z sound card ($85)

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Get a modmic. http://www.modmic.com/ I have one and love it. It is the best SQ that you'd ever need for gaming. I have mine mounted to a cable clip, and clip it to the cable of my headphones.

The best part about this solution, is that it allows you to upgrade your headphones in the future, and keep your mic. Also, you won't need a special sound card at all.

$250 headphones and a $50 mic will almost always sound better than a $300 gaming headset.

If you have no plans of getting an amp, this really limits you in the full size headphones area.

All of Beyerdynamic's headphones tend to be bright (emphasis on highs), so I wouldn't recommend those to you.

I don't know this area very well, but I recommend that you browse the forums attempting to find a headphone below $250 that fits your needs. Look for something that has a great soundstage and good bass. These are crucial for gaming. Soundstage means how enveloped in sound you are. How much the sounds feel like they surround you.

Make sure that the headphone you found works well without an amp. Look for words like "efficient" and "easy to drive" in the reviews.

Any questions, just ask!

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 13
One option is to get something like the V-Moda BoomPro mic and headphones of your preference that have a detachable cable. The mic works with any headphones that have a standard 3.5mm jack.

This is a great option. However, many audiophile cans don't use standard 3.5mm cables. Also, the modmic is a very similar product, that is just better on all fronts. Mor adaptable, more compatible, better sound quality, includes a pop filter...
But if you end up getting the M-100, a boompro wouldn't be all bad. But you can do better than that for your wallet.

Blue Yeti

+

Audio Technica ATH M50X

I don't know what you are using the mic for. If it is for gaming, the Blue Yeti is overkill. That money could be better put into more expensive and better headphones.
The M50x is great value for a portable, closed headphone. But you can do much better on your budget.

Sennheiser HD558 headphones ($120)
Aftermarket cable ($8-$26)  for the HD558 (comes with a 3.5mm plug).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sound Blaster Z sound card ($85)

You can't go wrong with an open back offering from Sennheiser.
But watch out, you might also need to get an amplifier, depending on what you purchase.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 13
The Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 should both be really good without needing an amp. As most, a dedicated sound card should be a good quality of life improvement for them.

And as others have said, separating the headphones and mic will almost always be better (value wise) than getting a headset. It also offers modularity for you to update either as you see fit.

Oh, and if you have Cherry MX Brown switches, your keyboard actually doesn't "click". The Blues are the common "clicky" switches. If you do in fact have Browns, the noise you're hearing is coming from the switch bottoming out--essentially crashing into the base of the keyboard--and this happens with every Cherry MX switch. If you want to silence it, check out WASDKeyboards. They sell dampening rings that virtually silence this noise. They allowed me to mod a Rosewill with MX Blues to use at work. The click it still dinstinct, but it is much, much quieter than the bottoming out sound I was getting before modding it.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 13
The Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 should both be really good without needing an amp. As most, a dedicated sound card should be a good quality of life improvement for them.

And as others have said, separating the headphones and mic will almost always be better (value wise) than getting a headset. It also offers modularity for you to update either as you see fit.

Oh, and if you have Cherry MX Brown switches, your keyboard actually doesn't "click". The Blues are the common "clicky" switches. If you do in fact have Browns, the noise you're hearing is coming from the switch bottoming out--essentially crashing into the base of the keyboard--and this happens with every Cherry MX switch. If you want to silence it, check out WASDKeyboards. They sell dampening rings that virtually silence this noise. They allowed me to mod a Rosewill with MX Blues to use at work. The click it still dinstinct, but it is much, much quieter than the bottoming out sound I was getting before modding it.

+1 to everything this guy has said

Philips Fidelio X2 (or any good can with a 3.5mm input) + V-Moda BoomPro mic

I cannot stress this enough. The ModMic is just better than the VModa Boompro. The boompro is more convenient though, so it is up to you.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 13
I cannot stress this enough. The ModMic is just better than the VModa Boompro. The boompro is more convenient though, so it is up to you.

I cannot stress this enough. What I said was simply a suggestion. Well, I'm outta here; I wouldn't want to take this conversation any further. And neither would you.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 13
  I cannot stress this enough. What I said was simply a suggestion. Well, I'm outta here; I wouldn't want to take this conversation any further. And neither would you.

I did not mean to offend or belittle your suggestion. I just wanted to make it clear that I have used both the BoomPro mic and ModMic extensively. With many people repeatedly suggesting the V-MODA BoomPro, I wanted to make sure that OP understood that, in my opinion from personal experience, the ModMic is better on all fronts. I apologize that I obviously offended you.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 13
I use the Samson Meteor mic placed right behind my keyboard and it sounds and works great. I have cherry mx blues and it does pick it up but if your using push-to-talk you shouldnt have a problem.  Definitely go separate components instead of all in one though

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 13
  I did not mean to offend or belittle your suggestion. I just wanted to make it clear that I have used both the BoomPro mic and ModMic extensively. With many people repeatedly suggesting the V-MODA BoomPro, I wanted to make sure that OP understood that, in my opinion from personal experience, the ModMic is better on all fronts. I apologize that I obviously offended you.

Alright then. Apology accepted. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back