Headset mainly for mobile (Samsung S3)/ laptop (ASUS UX31A) ($350 max)
Aug 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

octanitrocubane

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I am currently looking for a pair of headphones for my S3/ ASUS UX31A. I am currently looking at the Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear), I was wondering what the alternatives are in the same price range ($350 max). I am currently using the Denon AH-C560R in-ear. My main use for it will be music and youtube, where I like a strong base.

Thank you for suggestions!

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 24
I'd recommend going for Sennheiser HD 380 Pro or Beyerdynamic DT 770 as they are both closed cans (which means better bass than open ones in the same price range) and provide well defined sound quality and are also moderately priced. 
beyersmile.png

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:
I'd recommend going for Sennheiser HD 380 Pro or Beyerdynamic DT 770 as they are both closed cans (which means better bass than open ones in the same price range) and provide well defined sound quality and are also moderately priced. 
beyersmile.png

The Sennheiser HD 380 pro look interesting, but (from what I've heard) doesn't noise canceling usually come at the expense of audio quality?

On a slight side note, would (either the sennheiser momentum or the hd 380) outperform my razer megalodon, using my onboard audio (Realtek ALC 889 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC)? Or should I invest in a USB soundcard as well in that case (I would like to run simulated 7.1 for games there)?

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 24
The HD 380's are not "noise cancelling". They have good noise isolation so you don't have to worry about diminished sound quality.

Well the razer megalodon and "sennheiser momentum or the hd 380" are completely two different kinds of headsets.
sennheiser momentum or the hd 380 are basically stereo headsets for music mostly but razer megalodon's will be better for gaming purposes but won't beat the other two sennheisers when it comes to listening to music.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:
The Sennheiser Momentum has better sound quality compared to the HD 380 PRO but the bass on the 380 PRO is more(even though not too bassy)

Ok, I think I'll probably go with the Momentum simply because of the shorter cord that are included (3m is a bit long to carry around), but I'll try to find a store around where I can compare the 2 to directly.
Quote:
The HD 380's are not "noise cancelling". They have good noise isolation so you don't have to worry about diminished sound quality.

Well the razer megalodon and "sennheiser momentum or the hd 380" are completely two different kinds of headsets.
sennheiser momentum or the hd 380 are basically stereo headsets for music mostly but razer megalodon's will be better for gaming purposes but won't beat the other two sennheisers when it comes to listening to music.

Ah ok, I must have misread, I thought it was active NC, my bad. I guess I'll simply test and compare once I bought the momentums to see if they suit me better than the megalodons.

Thank you for your help!

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Hi!

I am currently looking for a pair of headphones for my S3/ ASUS UX31A. I am currently looking at the Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear), I was wondering what the alternatives are in the same price range ($350 max). I am currently using the Denon AH-C560R in-ear. My main use for it will be music and youtube, where I like a strong base.

Thank you for suggestions!

I'd really recommend you grab a pair of used Akg K550 [about $200 on eBay $170 here on head fi] and save that left over cash for something like a Fiio e17, You can use the E17 [dac amp combo] with your Asus Laptop, and maybe ur S3. I'm not farmillar with phone audio sadly

but getting a less expensive [and the Akg K550 are $300 or so new so same price range as the Momentum] along with an Amp and Dac will result in better sound overall as compared to JUST a pricy headphone 

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
I'd really recommend you grab a pair of used Akg K550 [about $200 on eBay $170 here on head fi] and save that left over cash for something like a Fiio e17, You can use the E17 [dac amp combo] with your Asus Laptop, and maybe ur S3. I'm not farmillar with phone audio sadly

but getting a less expensive [and the Akg K550 are $300 or so new so same price range as the Momentum] along with an Amp and Dac will result in better sound overall as compared to JUST a pricy headphone 

I think the akg looks a bit bulky, but that might just be me. How about the K551, aren't they similar, except there's a shorter cable on the K551? As for the E17, do you mean this one? It's sadly a bit more expensive here, it costs about $160-170 (I live in Switzerland).

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
I think the akg looks a bit bulky, but that might just be me. How about the K551, aren't they similar, except there's a shorter cable on the K551? As for the E17, do you mean this one? It's sadly a bit more expensive here, it costs about $160-170 (I live in Switzerland).

Indeed I mean that one, Sorry to hear it's more expensive. You can also check the Head Fi For sale thread, and there may be a Head Fi]r in the EU who is selling one.

yea they are a big big I guess, and yes the cord is gawd awful long, but I make like 5 inch loops then slap a rubber and on it and it's fine. the K550 do fold so you can put them around your beck with the cups flat against your chest 

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Indeed I mean that one, Sorry to hear it's more expensive. You can also check the Head Fi For sale thread, and there may be a Head Fi]r in the EU who is selling one.

yea they are a big big I guess, and yes the cord is gawd awful long, but I make like 5 inch loops then slap a rubber and on it and it's fine. the K550 do fold so you can put them around your beck with the cups flat against your chest 

I'll see what I can find here, I usually prefer to buy original when I buy tech for warranty reasons (plus there are few things that beat opening the package for the first time :D )

*Edit* Had a look around, doesn't look like there's anyone within reasonable prices once the shipping's been included if I want the accessories included and undamaged.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 24
You should look into the V-Moda M-100s. Very good bass emphasis, yet good mids and highs. Easy to drive with portable devices. Here is a whole discussion thread devoted to them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc

As for the AKG K550/K551s, I love my K550s. But not great for portable use. They are rather big and bulky (not great for putting in a backpack or messenger bag). They are also temperamental at getting a good seal. OK for sitting at a desk, but if you plan on moving around with them on, the seal tends to break and you have to adjust them.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
You should look into the V-Moda M-100s. Very good bass emphasis, yet good mids and highs. Easy to drive with portable devices. Here is a whole discussion thread devoted to them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc

As for the AKG K550/K551s, I love my K550s. But not great for portable use. They are rather big and bulky (not great for putting in a backpack or messenger bag). They are also temperamental at getting a good seal. OK for sitting at a desk, but if you plan on moving around with them on, the seal tends to break and you have to adjust them.

I had a look at them, and whilst they seem good I can't find anywhere I can go try them sadly (I live in Switzerland), and I'm a bit weary of spending $300 without at least trying them on for size and comfort, but thanks for the suggestion!

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

YOU find them, tempermental for getting a good seal. I never have any issues with getting a seal. My beyers and my K550s and my beyers are equally as easy to put on! 

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 24
YOU find them, tempermental for getting a good seal. I never have any issues with getting a seal. My beyers and my K550s and my beyers are equally as easy to put on! 

I'm not the only that has pointed out that the seal tends to break loose on them if you move around a lot. Meanwhile, you've had yours for TWO DAYS. LOL

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
I'm not the only that has pointed out that the seal tends to break loose on them if you move around a lot. Meanwhile, you've had yours for TWO DAYS. LOL

Oh please.I don't need more than 24 hours to figure out if I can trust the Fit.

And the first time I put them on they sealed easily. So I trust that the fit will keep. even if I move alot 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back