Headset for $70 (max)
Jan 31, 2015 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spooky655

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headset or a headphone and mic combo that costs a maximum of $70. I have the astro mixamp and want to use the headset with it for competitive FPSs on Xbox 360. The original A40 headset broke so I am looking for a replacement.

I noticed that people usually recommend buying the headphones and mic separately, but the cheapest I can find a mic in Canada is $30 for the zalmin one. Does it make sense to spend half the budget on the mic? Anyway, I'm open to suggestions!

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Skullcandy SLYR is on Head Fi buying guide for Gaming headphones. Never tried them though but they fit your budget. 

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Headset-SMSLFY-207-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B009RXUNGM/

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Yes, I can get them. Do they have standard audio and mic connections? And, just for comparison, how do they stand up to the SteelSeries Siberia V2s?

EDIT: Also, how would they compare to the SuperLux hd681s?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 11
  Yes, I can get them. Do they have standard audio and mic connections? And, just for comparison, how do they stand up to the SteelSeries Siberia V2s?

EDIT: Also, how would they compare to the SuperLux hd681s?

This gets into preference territory...

HD 681 in my opinion has the biggest soundstage and best sound but they have a very sharp treble that will get you. They are also semi open and leak sound.

Takstars(HyperX) have big sound, big bass, big treble, ok mids, sometimes the treble will be too sharp, but it's rather well done for a closed headphone. Also unrefined though in my opinion, it doesn't sound stable more of a guesswork. A lot of these chinese manufacturers just don't spend the research and development to fine tune everything and they end up with sound that reaches high but has fatal flaws. 

Steelseries/Skullcandy Slyr (no experience with either) are actually designed for the purpose you are going to be using them so I would assume they work better for gaming(and are more of a safe bet imo), but the others will have more impressive musical and acoustic credentials. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 11
  After reading the very positive reviews, I think I will go with the Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset :)

Man, consider the Takstar TS671. They're one of the best for gaming.

HyperX Soundstage isn´t the best. Honestly, they're the worst of the takstar family for gaming, and you can find the HI2050, which is open version with bigger soundstage (However their soundstage is smaller than the 681) or the TS671 which have a HUGE soundstage.

They're 55$ on Aliexpress. they worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back