Headset advice
Oct 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

davidc2

Head-Fier
I need to make some instructional DVDs - narration and screen recording - and have a Beyer MMX300 headset to help me.  I have a Xonar STX connected by the Digital out to a DACMagic and thence monitors by XLR and to a headphone amp but no other STX connections are being used.

I want to leave the STX connectors alone so that I don't have to scramble around at the back of my pc.  For this reason I am trying to use the USB converter that comes with the MMX300.  When the USB converter is plugged in I can see new entries in the Sound function in the Control Panel (I'm using W7 64bit) for usb headphones and microphone but cannot hear the mic (the headphones are working as I can hear other stuff coming through the STX).  I have fiddled with options in the mic settings but I can't hear the mic.

So, I'd be grateful if anyone can help me with this.  I'm looking for a simple solution.  I see from reading reviews of usb headsets that most have drivers that need to be installed but the MMX300 doesn't have any drivers of its own.  Does this matter?  Does it affect its functioning with a pc?  I thought W7 didn't but now I'm not sure.

I would like to just be able to plug the usb connector into the usb hub on my desk and have the 'phones and mic working.  Would it help if I got some dedicated pre-amp with a usb connection and x2 3.5mms in for the 'phones and mic? 

Thanks for any help on this.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried to set the usb device as preferred recording device, somewhere in control panel / audio (name may vary, i have xp).
Or you could set it in your sound recording application.
Windows should already have the driver, especially if you can see it in the control panel.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 4

silverxxx said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried to set the usb device as preferred recording device, somewhere in control panel / audio (name may vary, i have xp).
Or you could set it in your sound recording application.
Windows should already have the driver, especially if you can see it in the control panel.

Thanks for your explanation! It's very detailed, I understand this part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back