Headsave Classic or Shellbrook Pimeta
Jan 2, 2005 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

soltari1

New Head-Fier
Which of these two amps would you get to power senn 595's or 580's?
The classic would cost me about 180 with the AD8620/10's and a 24v power supply. The Pimeta costs 200. My source will be a chaintech av710 so the rca inputs of the classic aren't that big of a deal. I listen to alot of funk, punk, and blues so I'd like something to help with the polite sound of the senns. Thnx in advance.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 10
The lively AD8620 op-amp is supposedly a great match for cans such as Senns that have a laid-back sound signature. I've read only good things about the new version of Norm's Classic, and if you upgrade to the 627 op-amps I believe it is competitive with amps priced much higher. I'd be very tempted to go with the new Classic and the upgraded op-amps. If your budget doesn't allow the op-amp upgrade, the 8620 will be a nice match...but the 627 is reputed to be in a different league of detail and dynamics. It is the favorite op-amp of many here, especially in a non-portable amp.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 10
the 8620 might actually be better for him than the 627s, though. When I did amp research awhile back for my CD3000s, I read a lot saying the 8620s were a more "lively" sound while the 627s were smoother. The CD3K needs a bit of smoothing down, so I ended up going the route of the 627s.

I'd also recommend Norm's Classic amp, when I was doing amp research (again, lol) I came very close to buying one of his amps. You know, you might want to email him about this. He was very helpful to me in helping me decide what I wanted in an amp. He is definitely someone I would do business with in the future.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 10
The Headsave updated Classic with AD8620/10 opamps compares very favorably overall to a stock PPA with the pricier OPA637/627 opamps. In fact, I prefer the sonic texture/timbre delivered by my updated Classic to those sonic qualities from my stock PPA. The updated Classic with the modestly-priced AD8620/10 opamps delivers what I would call a truly hi-fi listening experience. And Norm's customer service is always a pleasure to receive.

For my set of phones (Grado SR225, AKG K501), I prefer the OPA627's in the updated Classic to the AD8620/10. The sound improvement to the updated Classic with AD8620/10 in place of the stock OPA2227/227 is about 65% of the sound improvement with OPA627's in place of the stock opamps. So, with phones known to work really well with the OPA6x7 opamps, the quality increase with the pricier OPA6x7 opamps is only (estimated) a third higher than the quality increase with the more modestly priced AD8620/10 opamps. With my Ety ER6, however, I prefer the AD8620/10 opamps over the OPA627's in my updated Classic.

Since you mention Senn 580 phones, it is probably safer to go with the AD8620/10 opamps in an updated Classic. In the original design of the home-vibe/go-vibe/classic, the AD8620 has been posted on Head-Fi as the opamp of choice for the Senn 580/600/650, over OPA627's. One poster, in particular, tried both OPA627's and AD8610's in an original home-vibe and greatly preferred the AD8610's to the OPA627's with their Senn 580/600 phones. The AD8620 is the two-channel version of the AD8610. Until folks post really favorable impressions about an updated Classic with upper end Senns and the OPA6x7 opamps, the AD8620/10 is a safe and solid choice for the updated Classic with upper end Senns.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Good points, both of you. Perhaps the 8620 is the better choice for soltari1. I think I'd go with the 627's since I think they would be a good match for my MS-2, but with Senns I doubt one could go wrong with the AD8620. I doubt one could go wrong by purchasing a Classic anyway.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
...I think I'd go with the 627's since I think they would be a good match for my MS-2... . I doubt one could go wrong by purchasing a Classic anyway.
biggrin.gif

For the MS-2, I'd agree with the choice of 627's in the new Classic for optimal sound quality, provided that their price is not a financial hurdle. And I certainly agree that one could NOT go wrong purchasing an updated Classic.

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 10
How would the stock Classic compare to the Porta Corda mkII?

I know the Porta is a portable and the classic really isn't, i think. But I passed on the Porta Corda Group-Buy because for roughly the same price the Classic seemed to be of a different/higher quality...of course I've never heard either and haven't read any direct comparisons. Any thoughts?

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 10
A Mint tin enclosure can be made containing two 9V batteries in series and having a dc plug to plug into the Classic's DC jack. The Classic will run from such a portable power source.

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 10
I've got the Pimeta from Shellbrook Audio (Drew). Mine is the Signature version with OPA 637's for L/R and 627's for ground. The amp is fantastic in workmanship and in sound. I'm using a set of Senn HD 595's and have a set of Allesandro MS-1's on the way. I can't really speak from experience on how the Pimeta will drive the 580's, AKG 501, Beyer DT880's will work well with the Pimeta. Drew's customer service is excellent. He's very responsive to email questions, requests and advice on what to use with his amps.

I have not purchased anything from Norm yet, but we came close to a deal on a used set of phones. Next time, I'm sure!

Whichever you buy will be a great amp.

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back