Heads-Up Tinged With Envy: USone Ed.9 for $1,095.00
Nov 21, 2006 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
Much as it pains me, I cannot afford the Ultrasone Edition 9s even at the ridiculous discount offered, so I thought I'd pass this along for the benefit of my Head-Fi brethren in hopes that the karma train will one day pass my way.

Click Here
280smile.gif

Cheers, Dex

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Ok, I'm a little curious here.... If the company selling these really wants to sell these, why the hell would they start the second paragraph with the following sentences?

The specifically created box allows you to store your Edition9 safely and convenient even for transportation. The earcups are black chrome-plated and the insignia on the earcups is made of chrome-plated brass, crafted in Bavaria. Earpads and head pad are made of soft genuine Ethiopian hair sheep leather in dark grey. This is the finest leather available with convincing attributes. This leather is so soft and smooth that you barely feel the headphones on your ears and it provides an excellent isolation.

Now note that this is the first part of the description of the headphones. Also note that nothing is mentioned about the sound quality. They start off first by telling you of the box that you can carry it in. Then they tell you that earcups have a beautifully chrome plated insignia. Then, as if comfort really came before sound quality, they suggest you will be taken by Ethiopian hair sheep leather.

Am I going nucking futs or am I really reading an ad trying to sell an audiophile a pair of headphones for $1,095????????? Perhaps the lamen will be more intrigued by these wonderful additions to a sonic signature not yet known.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, PJ, you're perfectly sane. It's the discount off a pair of insanely-priced $1,500 cans that is nucking futs:

See this thread

Dex

Well the discount is good for you if you like them. I just think trying to sell an audiophile headphones by telling them about the non-important features is not a good way to go about selling a $1,095 headphone.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 13
Because.. you can't describe sound?
Most people who looks at these and considers buying them know what they're about anyway

It's the extras that may change a maybe to a yes

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because.. you can't describe sound?
Most people who looks at these and considers buying them know what they're about anyway

It's the extras that may change a maybe to a yes

Sounds like a B.S. answer to me.
If you can't describe sound, then what do you type in every one of your reviews of a pair of headphones?
Why does anyone here even bother to type a review of headphones if you can't describe sound?
Come on, man.... don't be ridiculous.

And to you saying most people who look at them and consider buying them know what they're about anyway: If most people who would happen to stumble across an ad like that and be suckered in by that kind of ad, they are morons. At the same time, someone who would know what they are all about wouldn't need to read the ad in the first place, now would they?

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't describe sound, then what do you type in every one of your reviews of a pair of headphones?
Why does anyone here even bother to type a review of headphones if you can't describe sound?

And to you saying most people who look at them and consider buying them know what they're about anyway: If most people who would happen to stumble across an ad like that and be suckered in by that kind of ad, they are morons. At the same time, someone who would know what they are all about wouldn't need to read the ad in the first place, now would they?

You sound way to angry considering it's over the advetising for a pair of headphones you neither own or are considering owning. Does it really matter that much?

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I give up, it's like talking to a wall

Tell me ONE place, a manufacturer written ad that describes the sound accurately. 'Strong midrange but the bass is not very deep' 'annuated highs, but not fatiguing' aren't going to come up.

There's no such thing as perfect sound, or a sound sig that everyone will like, so they won't describe it.. The best they can do is 'sparkling highs, deep bass and so on so forth.

Back on topic, has anyone actually tried them? If they're amazing good (eg.. K1000 level
eek.gif
) i might actually consider them rather than high optioned darth beyers

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Now, fellas, let's not get our knickers into a twist!
blink.gif

Just to clarify, the link was not exactly to an "ad" per se, but simply a web shop listing from what appears to be a pro sound equipment seller in Philadelphia.

I only stumbled upon it because 8th Street Music is a selling partner with Amazon. Here is the original listing I saw:

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-Limi...&s=electronics

To be fair, most of these resellers simply cut and paste-up text from the manufacturer's one-sheet, and some do it better than others. The Ultrasone Editiion 9 website may be viewed here:

http://www.edition-headphones.com/index.html

I posted this because I thought there would be interest in a better than $400 discount on a product that normally lists for $1,500 / 1,500 Euro, and has previously been discussed here at some length on other threads, one of which I linked to above.

And for a little further perspective, PJ, the previous Ultrasone limited edition cost twice as much as this one, yet handily sold out its production run of 999 headphones.

I'm not suggesting that it's reasonable or right that a pair of headphones costs so much (how could it be?), but at the same time such things are hardly unprecedented in the wacky world of high-end audio, and headphones are no exception.

Having recently discovered Ultrasone myself by finding a pair of their top-of-the-line regular series cans for a stupidly low price (see the link in my sig.), I know what they are capable of and would jump on this opportunity if I had the scratch.

So at the price the Edition 9 are being offered, somebody's gonna be a very happy bunny!
280smile.gif

Cheers, Dex

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 13
I had understood they wouldn't even be available until December.
So they probably don't even have them yet. And therefore they probably can't tell what they sound like.
Weird price drop for an introduction......

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi all, Evan from Ultrasone USA here. Kees, you're right this product hasn't even shipped yet so they don't have any stock. So any claims that they have any stock is not truth. These won't even be in the U.S. until the first of Dec. at the earliest. Also just so everybody knows, we will not be honoring this price with the dealer as it is a gross violation of our minimum advertised pricing policy desinged to keep things fair for all dealers. And we are right now taking steps to get this removed from their site. Sorry to squash anybody's hopes of getting a great discount on the Edition 9's but this price is wrong and hopefully should not be up there much longer. Thanks

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by themick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also just so everybody knows, we will not be honoring this price with the dealer as it is a gross violation of our minimum advertised pricing policy desinged to keep things fair for all dealers. And we are right now taking steps to get this removed from their site. Sorry to squash anybody's hopes of getting a great discount on the Edition 9's but this price is wrong and hopefully should not be up there much longer. Thanks

Oh, bugger, guess I shoulda kept it on the hush-hush!
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, fellas, let's not get our knickers into a twist!
blink.gif

Just to clarify, the link was not exactly to an "ad" per se, but simply a web shop listing from what appears to be a pro sound equipment seller in Philadelphia.

I only stumbled upon it because 8th Street Music is a selling partner with Amazon. Here is the original listing I saw:

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-Limi...&s=electronics

To be fair, most of these resellers simply cut and paste-up text from the manufacturer's one-sheet, and some do it better than others. The Ultrasone Editiion 9 website may be viewed here:

http://www.edition-headphones.com/index.html

I posted this because I thought there would be interest in a better than $400 discount on a product that normally lists for $1,500 / 1,500 Euro, and has previously been discussed here at some length on other threads, one of which I linked to above.

And for a little further perspective, PJ, the previous Ultrasone limited edition cost twice as much as this one, yet handily sold out its production run of 999 headphones.

I'm not suggesting that it's reasonable or right that a pair of headphones costs so much (how could it be?), but at the same time such things are hardly unprecedented in the wacky world of high-end audio, and headphones are no exception.

Having recently discovered Ultrasone myself by finding a pair of their top-of-the-line regular series cans for a stupidly low price (see the link in my sig.), I know what they are capable of and would jump on this opportunity if I had the scratch.

So at the price the Edition 9 are being offered, somebody's gonna be a very happy bunny!
280smile.gif

Cheers, Dex

Dex,

I'm not saying that headphones aren't worth several thousand dollars.. I'm sure some are, absolutely.
I was just noting the way the ad tried to appeal to it's readers, and how a reader who would purchase a $1,500 set of headphones for reasons of elephant sheep hair over sound quality would be ludicrous.
That's all.
I'm sure they sound incredible, and would love to hear them!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Gobble, gobble!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back