Heads up on AKG's K702 Deal!
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's been discussed quite a bit here - you should find plenty of comparisons in the Headphones Forum.

Personally, I found the HD-650 much superior to the K-701/2. The HD-650 has a much more natural, balanced sound. For me, the vocals on the K-701/2 are off and don't sound natural. My K-701 spent a lot of time in its box until I got around to selling it. I'm hoping the rumored new AKG flagship follows in the steps of the wonderful K-501 and K-1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, HD-650 natural and balanced.

LOL another HD650 v. K701 case.

The HD650 is not balanced, though it is very natural. But I'll take the 650 any day of the week. Can't stand the plastic K701 sound. I guess monitoring studios like Acix are not bothered by the plastic sound. For music listening it's a big turn off.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba0555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com now has them for 259.99$ (280$ shipped)
They look tempting. I wonder how they compare to the Senn's HD650?

I prefer K702 as compared to HD650

For classical music but in other genre, HD650 is better

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba0555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com now has them for 259.99$ (280$ shipped)
They look tempting. I wonder how they compare to the Senn's HD650?

Many haters of the hd650 probably have not matched them with the right amp. There are a lot of amps out there (and no doubt that the hd650 needs one) but there are only a few that really synergize and make the headphones shine. I think you would be quite happy with the hd650 but you will need to take the time and spend the money to find the right amp. Once you have, they are natural, powerful, and have that wonderful Sennheiser soundstage.

That being said, the K701/702 are also great headphones but are completely different sound. If you can, listen to them as well as the hd650 and you can decide.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 37
FWIW, I found the HD650 to sound somewhat muffled, and have a focus on the lower midrange area, while the K702 has more of a focus on the upper midrange/lower treble, and offers considerably more detail. Also, I didn't find the true deep low frequencies that well represented on the Sennheisers.... as their low mid/bass hump seems to make them sound bassier than they actually are. The flatter K702s produce clear, deep bass, if it is present in the recording.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 37
One more question. How low and deep can headphones actually go? I know that when the frequencies drops low they no longer produce sounds or are unaudioableau but can still be felt. In terms of larger speakers but is applicable towards headphones?

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

The K-702 are better in any regard, you'll need some amp, or sound card and not necessary tube amp. The K-702 sounds better with SS amp.

If your music collection it's base on 128k mp3, or so. Maybe better to go with some veiled and dull hps like HD-650.

Fyi, this is opinion, not fact, and many people do not agree with any of this.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fyi, this is opinion, not fact, and many people do not agree with any of this.

This.

I could not stand the K701s (Though I haven't heard the K702s) but I have owned the HD650s on multiple occasions and keep coming back to it. Everything with audio is personal preference, you can't make a definitive statement and assume that everyone feels the same way as you.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #25 of 37
I have not heard hd 650 but I've heard akg k702 and Adam A7 studio monitors and they sound pretty much the same ( sonicly ). I find description "thin" to be more than inadequate !
You need an amp with akg k701/702 !!!!!!!!!!

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL another HD650 v. K701 case.

The HD650 is not balanced, though it is very natural. But I'll take the 650 any day of the week. Can't stand the plastic K701 sound. I guess monitoring studios like Acix are not bothered by the plastic sound. For music listening it's a big turn off.

How you can claim natural and balance, the 650 have one of the biggest boost and coloration in the lowmid upper bass in the headphones industry.lol...Maybe you like to listen to the music under the blanket.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard hd 650 but I've heard akg k702 and Adam A7 studio monitors and they sound pretty much the same ( sonicly ). I find description "thin" to be more than inadequate !
You need an amp with akg k701/702 !!!!!!!!!!

Now we talking studio...
beerchug.gif
The Adam S3A made me to choose the K702.
k701smile.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

How you can claim natural and balance, the 650 have one of the biggest boost and coloration in the lowmid upper bass in the headphones industry.lol...Maybe you like to listen to the music under the blanket.

You seem to be harboring under the impression that neutral and natural are one in the same. Imo, they are not. Natural to me, is what the music really sounds like. Neutral is just a flat frequency response.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem to be harboring under the impression that neutral and natural are one in the same. Imo, they are not. Natural to me, is what the music really sounds like. Neutral is just a flat frequency response.

Neutral it's a politic term, BALANCE is the musical term.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back