Heads up LP lovers, battery powered phono stage
May 15, 2003 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Take a look, is rather expensive but is there:

PhD.jpg

phdbackinside.gif

Description here:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...wsletter051403

May 15, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 9
this is rather interesting.

if battery power is so much cleaner than AC power, why not just plug all of your components into a big battery power source? you could probably set up a windmill or solar panel in your back yard to charge it, and get free energy for your system!
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 9
As noted in some older Head-Fi posts, Jeff Rowland also offers a battery option for the amps that they made after 1994. The batteries supposedly last for approximately 10 years, but I think you can buy the batteries from other places besides Rowland for a cheaper price.

May 15, 2003 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) has also just released a battery powered preamp. Are these rechargeable batteries we're talking about? How much playtime do you get, I wonder?

May 15, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Batteries for home amps is a great idea. If you haven't done listening tests on your home AC to batteries, you don't know what you're missing. I learned this from testing my Meta. Blacks get way darker, noise floor drops,separation of instruments improve..... I really love batteries! Esp. rechargable ones.

May 15, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Hehe, my Rat Shack Little Rat is battery powered too. $25 plus the cost of a few rechargeables. Supposedly beats out the $100 offerings from NAD and Music Hall. I'm willing to give a $3000 stage the benefit of the doubt though... it's probably better.

May 15, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 9
What about a very high end battery powered pre-amp with phono-stage plus nice integrated headphone-amp? Like this one: http://www.nagraaudio.com/pages/plp.php?etat=2 - it's not particularly cheap, though...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 15, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 9
The Berning MicroZOTL has a 12v DC input for battery power. The list of high-end devices that can run of off batteries keeps growing...

May 16, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 9
The Musical Surroundings Phonomena (cute name!) comes with a battery pack option. THe phono stage and the battery each list at $600, but can be had for less. It is pretty good: Stereophile Class B, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back