heads-up for Linux users: RME Digi 96/8 PAD $199 on ebay
Mar 19, 2005 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AdamWill

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been researching lately and it seems the RME 96/8 PAD is up there in the very small list of contenders for 'e-mu class audio in Linux'. It's also generally much more expensive than e-mu cards, from what I can gather. However! There's currently eight available for $199 buy-it-now from jd sound on eBay. linky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I'd buy one myself but I'm near broke and I've got to pay for my pre-order PSP on Thursday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 6
is that an analog card?

i would need an analog output but the description is a little cryptic.

can anyone explain how i would get this to work... very interested

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by twodeko
is that an analog card?

i would need an analog output but the description is a little cryptic.

can anyone explain how i would get this to work... very interested

Yes, it has analog output. This card was popular here before the the EMU cards came out. To sound best it needs modding though, and even modded it only meets the stock EMU 1212m in sound quality according to Iron_Dreamer's (?) review. Since it normally costs $300 new (in stock form) this is a good price.

Mar 20, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 6
radar: hence why I posted it as interesting for Linux users - we can't use emus.

Mar 20, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Good deal from a reputable seller, looks good!

It might be drunk yadda yadda, but still interesting: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105564

Quote:

Originally Posted by twodeko
can anyone explain how i would get this to work

Get it to work with Linux - or ?
It has a 1/4" TRS analog out. Getting an analog output is really simple. But i think there is one small (?) problem with it. It has a 75 Ohm output impedance according to RME, which alters the sound compared to 0 Ohm (which most headphone outputs are rated at). I don't think this matters if you use an amp of any sort, though.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 6
aaaaah wonderful!

i will order one of these soon but just to know for sure that there are 1/4" outputs and i will not need that analog card. bit of money to not be sure
tongue.gif

thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back