Heads up for free Linn track download
Dec 22, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, the SQ is quite honestly, outstanding!

Yep, really incredible stuff. Other great labels - MFSL, DCC and anything mastered by Steve Hoffman.

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 28
Sorry for not answering your questions earlier, geoges.ravel. I see Zanth has given you exactly what you need to know. I have to stress that this is totally legal.

Anyway, the longest track is "He was despised right"? That's quite good track because it has a good mix of fast and slow bits. The female vocals are also amazing. If you want to buy one more track as a taster, I recommend "Every valley shall be exalted". The male solo tenor is amazing.

Yes I agree Linn charges an extortionate amount of money for the studio masters, but they are very nicely recorded and the performances aren't shabby either. I must admit not all of Linn's releases are that great. Some of the recordings just don't have the same stellar performance to back up the amazing sound quality (obviously IMO!). That's why it's great that Linn provide free samplers of every single track.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoyed whichever excerpt you chose. If you're going to buy one Linn release, this is the one. If you want another great Linn album, I really recommend the Liszt Piano Sonata. The acoustics of the Liszt take a bit of getting used to since it sounds very life-like, exactly as it would sound if you listened to it being performed in real life as opposed to the hyper-detailed high-rez audiophile-style piano sound.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to buy one more track as a taster, I recommend "Every valley shall be exalted". The male solo tenor is amazing.

Downloading that very one now old stick, lookign forward to hitting the playatron switch.

Gods I hope i hate it, that last thing I need is another source of paypal vampirism.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #19 of 28
And if you like baritone, then "But who may abide"
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downloading that very one now old stick, lookign forward to hitting the playatron switch.

Gods I hope i hate it, that last thing I need is another source of paypal vampirism.

That track is nearly divine, start praying for your wallet
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 28
I just bought both Messiah & Liszt's piano sonata master quality. Messiah just sound so divine!

I'll take your word on Liszt.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I just bought both Messiah & Liszt's piano sonata master quality. Messiah just sound so divine!

I'll take your word on Liszt.
biggrin.gif

Thank me later
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, could you recommend me a good track to DL! Something as exciting as the FIM K2 Rachmaninoff sample, or something with a "darker & more sinister" sound?

By the "K2 Rachmaninoff sample", do you mean the first track on This is K2HD Sound!? The acoustics of the Linn recording is different to that of the FIM K2HD sampler. The K2HD Rachmaninoff sampler has a deeper soundstage and the music is also much more lively.

I really like "Recit: And suddenly" and the one immediately following, "Chorus: Glory to God". However, they are so short it would really be a waste of the coupon. Why don't you try "Air: The trumpet shall sound"? It's got very nice vocals and instrumentals (like the rest of the recording!
biggrin.gif
).

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Thank me later
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I'll thank you now as I'm still downloading the tracks (3.4GB of music is quite a lot), so thanks!

I wish Linn had some faster pipes.
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

By the "K2 Rachmaninoff sample", do you mean the first track on This is K2HD Sound!? The acoustics of the Linn recording is different to that of the FIM K2HD sampler. The K2HD Rachmaninoff sampler has a deeper soundstage and the music is also much more lively.

I really like "Recit: And suddenly" and the one immediately following, "Chorus: Glory to God". However, they are so short it would really be a waste of the coupon. Why don't you try "Air: The trumpet shall sound"? It's got very nice vocals and instrumentals (like the rest of the recording!
biggrin.gif
).

Excellent, thank you. I was giving the K2 sample as an example of something I really enjoyed. I will definitely check out "Air: The trumpet shall sound". Thanks milpowder.

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #26 of 28
This is a little bit OT, but I noticed that Liszt's available on SACD at 5.1 recording. For something that Milkpower believe is "life-like", wouldn't the 5.1 be a better choice? Or does Studio-Master quality > all?

I am just looking for an opinion, as this is my first foray into Hi-rez download audio.

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a little bit OT, but I noticed that Liszt's available on SACD at 5.1 recording. For something that Milkpower believe is "life-like", wouldn't the 5.1 be a better choice? Or does Studio-Master quality > all?

I am just looking for an opinion, as this is my first foray into Hi-rez download audio.

In theory, the SACD recording would be better because it is already studio master quality, only in six channels. To achieve that theoretically superior performance, you would need also need five identical speakers set up in the way that the mastering engineer intended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, thank you. I was giving the K2 sample as an example of something I really enjoyed. I will definitely check out "Air: The trumpet shall sound". Thanks milpowder.

No problem. It's a nice track.

Quote:

I'll thank you now as I'm still downloading the tracks (3.4GB of music is quite a lot), so thanks!

I wish Linn had some faster pipes.
frown.gif

Yeah, Linn should really get a faster connection. I have a feeling they limit individual connection speeds because I managed to max out my meager 8Mbit bandwidth downloading about 30 tracks simultaneously off the Linn server at the same time
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 28
Bump...
Merry Christmas: http://www.linn.co.uk/christmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back