Headroom's Prices vs J&Rs
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Wage

Head-Fier
I've read in various posts throughout the forums that J&R SOMETIMES offer extremely discounted (street) prices over the phone. Is the same true for Headroom?

I am heavily considering buying myself a pair of Denon AH-D7000s this year, either when I get money from school or when I get my tax return. I can't afford them, but premature hearing loss runs in my family, so I figure I should get them while I can still appreciate them.

I bought my first pair of great headphones from Headroom in 2005, the Grado SR60i. Just a few days ago, I bought my girlfriend a pair of DENON AH-C560R's from Headroom for her birthday, and I now find myself catching the audiophile bug again after many years dealing with life and growing up. The last time I've had good headphones on my head (the Grado SR60i's) were when I moved away from home four years ago, so it's been a while to say the least. To make a long story short, Headroom did me good on my first purchase, so I'd really like to do them good in buying the AH-D7000s from them if they can do what J&R sometimes does (which, from one post, was as low as $625 for someone last year >_>).

[Also, can anyone recommend a good place in Los Angeles, California to audition the AH-D7000s? I've never heard AH-D7000's signature but have been reading about them on and off for a few years.]

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 12
headroom is typically more expensive as they tend to stick to msrps on their pricing

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 12
The one benefit of Headroom is their 30 day no-questions guarantee.  Some vendors won't take returns, or at least charge 15% for restocking.  If you can't audition something before buying, it may cost more at Headroom, but it's less risky if you don't like it.  You can probably look at Headroom's prices as the same as J&R or Amazon's prices + 15% restocking fee.

I think it's fair.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Oh ya, and not to mention Headroom is an authorized dealer for many companies.  Some discounting vendors aren't authorized, so you won't get any warranty support from them.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Oh ya, and not to mention Headroom is an authorized dealer for many companies.  Some discounting vendors aren't authorized, so you won't get any warranty support from them.

True. But J&R is an authorized dealer for what they sell as well. You can find them listed on the authorized dealer lists of A-T, Denon, and Sennheiser, among others. Headroom probably has people more knowledgable about what they sell and are probably more wiling to answer questions. Restocking fees if you don't return it in the original box with all materials will probably be an issue at J&R.

As far as the question of whether Headroom can cut you a deal, why don't you just call and ask and if they can or not.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 12
[Also, can anyone recommend a good place in Los Angeles, California to audition the AH-D7000s? I've never heard AH-D7000's signature but have been reading about them on and off for a few years.]

Ethically, you really should buy the headphones from the dealer who let's you audition them.
smile.gif

They also might cut you a deal.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Good point.  You can audition them, and then you can begin negotiating.  You can say, "So and so has it for $XXX.  Can you match that?"

In this economy, many vendors are willing to negotiate rather than losing a sale.

Quote:
Ethically, you really should buy the headphones from the dealer who let's you audition them.
smile.gif

They also might cut you a deal.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Yes, I'd completely forgotten about owing my purchase to whomever allows me the audition. Furthermore, I really appreciate the reminders about Headroom's "No Questions" 30-day money back guarantee. I can't say that's worth $300 less than MSRP (which is 30% off, in this case), but if J&R doesn't offer the AH-D7000s at $700.00 or less like they have for other members here, then I'm definitely going with Headroom.

Also, yes, I definitely plan to ask Headroom if they're able to do better than their posted prices online; however, I just wanted a heads up in case they never did that sort of thing (because I don't see any mention of it in these forums).

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 12
I think web based, mail-order companies are less likely to negotiate prices, but you should still try.  I sometimes get Amazon to price match.  Try it, and let us know!

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 12
Both Headroom and J&R are known to bargain if you call them.  J&R probably has quite a bit more room, but as you know, HR's service is hard to beat.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 12
I've been quoted Denon AH-D7000 $625 from JR + shipping ($15 within US), so this will help you. :)

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 12
I think Headroom will price match if you ask.  

Also try Electronics Expo or One Call.  They are both authorized Denon dealers (http://usa.denon.com/US/WhereToBuy/Pages/OnlineETailers.aspx)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back