Headroom's measurements on the Denons is confusing?
Feb 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is you are concerned with an area of response that headphones just done do very well. (~20-40 Hz) To a significant extent, on speakers these frequencies are as much felt as heard. On headphones you just don't get the chest/nasal cavity compression or bone conducted info that you do with speakers. If you try to compensate on headphones by bumping up the bass, you are just opening the door to other kinds of imbalances or audio distortions.

I think you'd be better served overall by D5000 which is nice and linear with a fairly strong bass (or a HD 800 if you can use open cans) and learn that new acoustic. I simply don't think headphones will do what your speakers do, and if you force the bass issue you'll get errors elsewhere.

I agree, and that's one of my concerns. I know that headphones have inherent physical limitations, and they really shouldn't be reproducing those sub-bass notes as that's asking too much of them. But since I often work late into the night, or even when I'm just gaming, I want headphones that can really reproduce that "oomph" so I get the same feeling I have when I listen to my O300D's. But as you said, that comes with its own problems and some kind of promise will be made.

I have heard the HD800, but based on the graphs alone, the HD800 might simply not produce enough sub-bass (it looks very similar in the graph to the HD650, which I have and it totally fails to reproduce visceral sub-bass impact). Although I understand people rave about it's incredible resolution and detail.

Should I take your recommendation for the D5000 as some kind of unsaid comment about the D7000's bass being a bit too much? (And funny enough, I'm looking for something that is just a tad stronger in the sub bass than the M50, and it seems the D7000 fits the bill.) But if spending less will get me closer to headphones I can really trust (relatively speaking), then why the hell not? I keep reading all these people saying how the D7000 is definitely better than the D5000 though, but then again, we know how insane some audiophile weirdos are.
k701smile.gif

I wonder if you could elaborate a bit on the relevant differences between the D5000 and the D7000's overall sound? I think it's down to these two for me.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 21
Since I don't see a dedicated headphone amp in your signature, I'm assuming you plug your headphones directly into the Konnekt Live? The output impedance for the headphone out seems to be 80 ohm - perhaps not the best way to go for very low impedance Denons.

Surprisingly, it seems to be working well with the M50.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 21
Personally, I find the D7000 to "loose" in the bass. I know that runs counter to some of the things said, and even to many of the impressions of folks here at HeadRoom who love them.

I would think you are better of exploring the subject in the open forums here to get a broader answer.

(In otherwords, I'm rather suspect of my own opinion on Denons at this time.)

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #20 of 21
Hey Lunatique, great to see you here at Head-Fi. I remember you from Fred Miranda so it's good to see you around again. It was interesting to read this thread and I was wondering if you had considered Ultrasone Edition 8 and Ultrasone Pro900. They have both been mentioned that they sound like they have built in subwoofers. I had a chance to listen to the Edition 8 a couple of weeks ago and it impressed me quite a bit. Very deep and punchy bass.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimragone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Lunatique, great to see you here at Head-Fi. I remember you from Fred Miranda so it's good to see you around again. It was interesting to read this thread and I was wondering if you had considered Ultrasone Edition 8 and Ultrasone Pro900. They have both been mentioned that they sound like they have built in subwoofers. I had a chance to listen to the Edition 8 a couple of weeks ago and it impressed me quite a bit. Very deep and punchy bass.

Wow, someone from FM! I haven't been there for a while, since photography isn't as much of a focus for me as it was years ago. I'm mostly focusing on music these days (other than my moderation duties at cgtalk.com and teaching an art workshop).

Based on the mid-priced models I've heard before, I didn't like their sonic signature--the 3~6Khz region is a bit bright and fatiguing for my ears. The flagship models are probably different, but I looked at Edition 8's frequency graph and its sub-bass is too rolled off for what I'm after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back