Headrooms cardas recabled DT880!
Feb 6, 2005 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MartinB

100+ Head-Fier
Have anyone given the Cardas recabled DT880 a listen? I might be thinking of buying it...

I have another question too...

I'm very interested in the Grado PS-1 but I am sceptical to if it's really worth the money at double the cost of the RS-1 which I already have and like. I have also heard that the PS-1 is very uncomfortable. Is this true? I have seen that they are at least twice the weight of RS-1 and the weight of the RS-1 is one of their best qualities...

Thanks for listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB
Have anyone given the Cardas recabled DT880 a listen? I might be thinking of buying it...

I have another question too...

I'm very interested in the Grado PS-1 but I am sceptical to if it's really worth the money at double the cost of the RS-1 which I already have and like. I have also heard that the PS-1 is very uncomfortable. Is this true? I have seen that they are at least twice the weight of RS-1 and the weight of the RS-1 is one of their best qualities...

Thanks for listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

All Grados are uncomfortable, I don't think it's a weight issue. Thinking of the Grado design, most of the weight if not all of it should fall upon the headband. As far as ime goes.. All grado cans I've tried have been very uncomfortable because the clamp down on your ears very tightly and the bowlpads make it worse, true torture! But as many Grado fans will tell you, this can be fixed by angling/stretching the headband and swapping the bowlpads with flatpads. But I don't think they will ever be as comfortable as then Senn HD580/6XX cans.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 20
I don't think that Grado RS-1 is that uncomfortable and I have no problem living with them. With HD414 pads they are actually really comfortable. But I have heard that the high weight of the PS-1 have made them a lot more uncomfortable than RS-1...you should note that I don't listen to headphones for many hours a day. Probably about 1 hour a day and never more than 2-3 hours...

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 20
How is the Cardas cable for microphonics? I'd like to try modifiying my DT880s with this cable. Anyone know what the cable model or part number is?
I'm happy with the sonics of the stock cable. I just hate the heavy coiled feel and el-cheapo look. Any sonic improvement would be fine, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 20
I had an opportunity to listen to both the stock-cabled and the cardas recabled (both normal and balanced) at the Chicago meet. I am not the biggest fan in the world of the DT880 with the stock cable. With the stock cable, it turns it into a completely different set of cans. The highs and mids are much more refined, and the bass is tighter and less overpowering...which is not to say that it weakens it. It's tighter, more lively...trust me, it's good even for bassheads.

Having said that, the PS-1's are something very special with the right amp. I'd not put them with anything I've tried with tubes...they need solid state, and a lot of juice at that. You'll spend a ton more money on them, of course. Whether that's worth it to you or not, I don't know.

Feb 6, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 20
As far as recableing the DT 880's, I just did it. I read a thread, last night, about useing CAT5 networking cable (available at computer store/ or Rat Shack). I had a gold 1/4" XLR plug and 10' of CAT5 laying around also. This is a super cheap upgrade option and it works. It was very easy as I did not know how the DT 880's were assembled or how to disassemble them. The recableing thread was geared toward Senn 650's and did not go into assembly or disassembly. I found it to be overly easy to do. It took very little time. The CAT5 cable jacket is blue in color and is reasonably flexible and compliant. There are eight wires inside the cable so I paired them up (brown+brown and white striped made up one, green+green and white stripe made up another, and so on). The ends of the pairs were twisted together and tinned with soldier to make up a four wire conductor. The CAT5 is low in microphonics. The cable swap gave little sonic improvement so far as breakin has just started. The bass is a little improved and the highs are very little, better controlled. But the good news is that there is no more "God awfull" coiled cord to deal with. Easy to do, fast, and unbelievibly CHEAP.
basshead.gif
blink.gif
3000smile.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
But the good news is that there is no more "God awfull" coiled cord to deal with.

That's one hell of a good excuse to recable 880 ! Mind to inform me where to get blue covered Cat5 ? The one I can find locally is grey colored network cable with Belden stamps all over.
mad.gif

600smile.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB

Hi MartinB,

Did you used to be on AudioAsylum under the same username? Just curious, I remember reading posts from someone in high-res under that name. Anyway, I have both the RS-1 and the PS-1. For me the PS-1 is worth twice the money of the RS-1, it's a great headphone and it does a number of things better than the RS-1. But that doesn't mean that it will be for you... As you go higher up the audio chain the law of diminshing returns always kicks in. I have never found any of the Grados uncomfortable though the PS-1 is probably twice the weight of the PS-1.

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I had an opportunity to listen to both the stock-cabled and the cardas recabled (both normal and balanced) at the Chicago meet. I am not the biggest fan in the world of the DT880 with the stock cable. With the stock cable, it turns it into a completely different set of cans. The highs and mids are much more refined, and the bass is tighter and less overpowering...which is not to say that it weakens it. It's tighter, more lively...trust me, it's good even for bassheads.

Hmmm, tell us more especially about the balanced version! And am I correct in assuming that "With the stock cable, it turns it into a completely different set of cans." should have read "With the Cardas cable, it turns it into a completely different set of cans."?

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 20
Thanks for all your answers!
smily_headphones1.gif

gpalmer: I am not a member on audioasylum, sorry...
So do you find the PS-1 and RS-1 to be just as comfortable? or do you find RS-1 to be more comfy? Which pads do you use?

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 20
I personally use the flats with both of them. I find them equally confortable, but I am not a person who has ever had discomfort from Grado's. I have heard others complain about their weight, especially with my set which is wired balanced with the Grado Ultra High Resolution Reference cable. It's heavier and sitffer than the normal cable. Biggest problem I have with that cable is the stiffness... The headband is adjustable in the same manner as the RS-1 so it should support most of their weight, but to really get them to stay put as you move your head around, they do need a pretty good amount of clamping force on the sides of your head. They are better at low level resolution of detail than the RS-1 and I find the frequency response to result in better sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back