HeadRoom Website Testing!!!
Oct 3, 2001 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 67
Frames can be problematic for different browsers... they're usually harder to work w/ than tables. It is standard to keep navigation links available as much as possible, this is true. However, I think that page is just WAY too big to begin w/. Not going to be a fun page for modem users, that's for sure!

I suggest breaking it up into a table: One cell w/ a link for each major category, and maybe a dynamic picture. If a category is small, that link can go to a smaller version of the big list, but only listing the relevant stuff in the category. If it's a big category (like headphones), have the link go to another small table w/ each headphone brand... same deal, a link and a dynamic picture. Have those links show all the headphones for each brand. That will definitely reduce the load time, and should negate the desire for frames, since you shouldn't have to scroll very far for navigation links.

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 67
Ive noticed a lot of the same problems that the others have. I really like this design better than the current one. I think the logo on the first (i mean very first page) looks a little "weird". Like around the spinning headphones it seems like they've been cut out with a crappy blunt pair of scissors and pasted onto the image. Other than that..the only other problem i have witht eh site is that it doesnt deliver 8 million worth or equipment to my house for free....oh well.....perhaps a mug will do....

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #33 of 67
I'm hearing you with the long pages and the menu not being available. One thing we have coming up is a searching widget that would allow you to limit the number of product being displayed (limit by price, comfort rating, etc). Another solution may be to have the option of turning off the icons in the product listings as an option in the my account section (coming soon)...

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #34 of 67
Heheh....

you can type in negative numbers and zero in the quantity fields...

*grins*

and take off money from your total!! and end up with them owing YOU money!! MUAHAHAH!!!!

And you owing them some headphones, but, anyways.....

Oh.

and the place to go and actually *BUY* headphones should *NOT* take so many clicks to get to! ACK!

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
you can type in negative numbers and zero in the quantity fields...and take off money from your total

I just checked it out and this happened for me too. Perhaps you guys would like to fix this?

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #36 of 67
I was just looking at some of the "Smoothed Normalized FR" graphs ... and they look much, much better..

Two things though (though I haven't gone through all of the charts..)

1) (minor gripe) the graphs are a bit blurry .. which is fine, but the numbers (esp. on the left - dBr A) may be a bit hard to read for some.

EDIT: Nevermind about what I said above .. this blurriness was caused by IE6's automatic resizing of the images.. the "pop up" button on the lower right enlargens the image.

2) the Senn HD 580's FR graph isn't normalized at 1kHz...but maybe it was meant to be this way..

Oct 4, 2001 at 12:46 AM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
How come the Orpheus now costs $12k instead of $9999?

We use to have a limit in the database of $9999.99, sorry but we had to fix that one...

Oct 4, 2001 at 12:47 AM Post #40 of 67
I just wanted to chime in here and offer a big "THANK YOU" to all you guys for helping us test the new site. A perfect example of how commercial and community participants can have a fun and productive time together.

skippy >>> yay! this might be my chance to replace that headroom mug that broke.

You betcha!

DanG >>> The website worked fine, except that I gave it a phony credit card number and it still worked. Let's see if the $50,000-worth of equipment I ordered will actually arrive!

Sheesh! That reminds me. One of these days we're going to have to come out with an Oregami version of the Max.

wilbur >>> I prefer the old pictures of the plain headphones to the new ones with the headphones attached to that plastic head.

There is actually an odd reason for this: we spent a lot of time and effort taking pictures of headphones on the old site only to find them cropping up on other competitors web sites. THis bugged the heck out of me. The other problem was that some headphones are very difficult to set up on a table and take pictuers of and give an acurate representation of what the headphone looks like. So, we figure photographing cans on Fritz (that "plastic" head is a $3000 Neuman binaural microphone) would solve both problems. I think the result is OK, but not great. I just can't think of a better alternative.

jim >>> I think it would be nice if you listed your amps in order of "betterness" rather than alphabetically.

The difficulty here is that it is difficult to create an objective absolute quality measure. I agree however the the current ordering algorythm is not good. I think that we will end up using a default sort by price function when we get to it.

gorgon_123 >>> Instead I told it that I was from California and that my ZIP code was 90210

I assumed the photo on your avatar was you, and therefore assumed you lived in California.
tongue.gif

Acutally, the issue of overseas orders is more compex than might be first assumed. Suffice it to say that we are very interested in more than just domestic orders, but we felt a very strong need to get the site up even if it wasn't as good as we'd like for a variety of reasons not the least of which was that it had already gotten better than the old one in terms of product information---which is, of course, the most important thing for us.

gorgon_123 >>> Nice of you guys to give Head-fi props on the first page

This is a very dangerous thing to do, too! And as such, may disapear in the not too distant future. Not to worry, however, as the most important thing you can take away from the fact that it is there is that I am fully commited to creating sustainable traffic patterns that will help consumers get the very best advice possible. If the link to Head-Fi disaprears from the front page, it will only be because we determine that the consumer is better served by having the click appear elsewhere. After all it would be stupid to get someone to our site only to dissapear before they find out who HeadRoom even is.

>>>The image of Amy needs to be bigger. Is she single?
>>>heheheh. official headphone supermodel? I guess I'd be more of an Ivy fan. we're such nerds

Now I know this is all in fun, and I'm sure no harm is meant, but I've got to tell you guys that these types of comments can, understandably make my female employees a bit nervous about having their pictures on the web. Please be a little sensitive to this dynamic. I very much want to make many HeadRoom employees accessable to web customers, but I have had some folks express concerns about...over exposure. Again, I think this is an over-reaction to the realities of the situation, but it is an understandable one. Thanks.

DanG >>> Um, I think Ivy's Tyll's daughter. Isn't that so?

Hey! I know I'm an old fart, but .... well I guess I am old enough to be her Dad,
frown.gif
, but I'm not.

Gluegun >>> you can type in negative numbers and zero in the quantity fields... and end up with them owing YOU money!! MUAHAHAH!!!!

You are a sick twisted mind! You must be a programer. Or a headphone geek.

kerykeion >>> I was just looking at some of the "Smoothed Normalized FR" graphs ... and they look much, much better..

Thanks! This comment makes me feel very, very good. We have been working VERY hard to improve our measurements. I can't wait till we get through the next rev and let you guys send us headphones to measure.

Thanks guys!

Tyll

Oct 4, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 67
The new site seems to work OK, a little slow in places.
I miss the little cartoon guys!

On the order page, when it comes time to enter your card number, I find it's NOT a secure site. I hope that will change, otherwise I don't make orders on un-secure sites.

Oct 4, 2001 at 1:02 AM Post #42 of 67
Database error: Invalid SQL: SELECT firstName, middleName, lastName, email, billingAddressLine1, billingAddressLine2, mailingAddressLine1,
mailingAddressLine2, mailingCity, billingCity, mailingState, billingState, mailingPostalCode, billingPostalCode, eveningPhoneNumber, dayPhoneNumber FROM
customer WHERE customerID=
MySQL Error: 1064 (You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1)
Session halted.

I got this error after hitting back after I ordered -2 Orpheii.

Oct 4, 2001 at 1:06 AM Post #43 of 67
Sorry Tyll, for some reason I had thought you said that Ivy was your daughter at HE01, but I guess I was wrong.
redface.gif

Overall, I love the new website! Very classy and much easier on the eyes. But perhaps instead of worrying about objectivity in the order of headphone amps, why not just make a list of them which increases in price and grouped by manufacturer? That seems like it would work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #45 of 67
I've been doing some fiddling around with the new website, and in addition to Tyll owing me $23k, I now owe him somewhere on the order of $260,000,000
biggrin.gif
(do we get a mug for ordering the most stuff?). I've also not found any other errors (apart from the one I've already posted) so good job WebDesignGuy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back