HeadRoom vs. the Community
May 30, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #31 of 128
I, for one, admire Tyll and Headroom. He has consistently tried to grow and educate the audiophile headphone community. I hate to see him taking cheap shots here.

It is no one's business but Tyll's how much profit Headroom makes on each product. Microsoft's net profit on its office products is over 70%. Profit allows a company to invest in R&D and customer service.

There are many, many alternatives to Headroom products, and if you don't feel that they are a good VALUE to you, don't buy.

I think that Tyll is an entrepeneur who is investing his time, effort and money producing products for the members of this community. I think that this thread is embarassing to all of us.

May 30, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #32 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave1
I, for one, admire Tyll and Headroom. He has consistently tried to grow and educate the audiophile headphone community. I hate to see him taking cheap shots here.

It is no one's business but Tyll's how much profit Headroom makes on each product. Microsoft's net profit on its office products is over 70%. Profit allows a company to invest in R&D and customer service.

There are many, many alternatives to Headroom products, and if you don't feel that they are a good VALUE to you, don't buy.

I think that Tyll is an entrepeneur who is investing his time, effort and money producing products for the members of this community. I think that this thread is embarassing to all of us.

this thread is an embarassment to us all but look who started it.I see it for what it is.Look any deeper than that and your head will explode form another "Kelly hates the world" rant

May 30, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #33 of 128
I guess, it would have been wiser for Magic77 to contact HeadRoom directly instead of addressing his issues over here in the forum. On the other hand, it was the HeadRoom forum, so that wasn't too unwisely chosen either. More disturbing to me seemed all those assumptions from thirds - while it seemed rather obvious right from the start, that a few words from HeadRoom as manufacturer would clear up the whole problem, anyway... All in all, much ado about nothing, I'd say.
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 30, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
I guess, it would have been wiser for Magic77 to contact HeadRoom directly instead of addressing his issues over here in the forum. On the other hand, it was the HeadRoom forum, so that wasn't too unwisely chosen either. More disturbing to me seemed all those assumptions from thirds - while it seemed rather obvious right from the start, that a few words from HeadRoom as manufacturer would clear up the whole problem, anyway... All in all, much ado about nothing, I'd say.
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Agreed! I believe it could have been cleared up as a personal matter with a simple phone call, FAX, or E-mail to HeadRoom (Tyll) without all the public fanfare...

This is cold blooded...

smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #35 of 128
Some of you guys have made some excellent points. I especially liked Jude's and andrze's responses. I wish people who only want to derail or insult a thread would find some other thread to post in (or opt not to post at all)--but I've come to expect that from some folks.

andrze
I'm sorry for the misleading title of the thread but that was really the tone of the quote I took from Tyll. He's suggesting that it feels like a "fight" for a company to participate in a community and that this is why other companies haven't been as active. I could have as easily called the thread "Commercial Companies vs. HeadFi" but I felt like Tyll had taken it more personally because of his company's involvement with headphones and the community.

RE: economics of manufacturing electronics
I've had this discussion elsewhere so sorry for the redundancy for those who have read it before. It is typical in home electronics to see a retail price of four times the total cost of parts and manufacturing, not including research and development. In other words, if a compent costs $10 in parts and $15 in assembly, it will typically cost $100 retail. $25 in profit goes to the manufacture. $25 in profit goes to the distributor. $25 in profit goes to the retail. Keep in mind that out of the profit for those various levels, employees and overhead must be deducted.

Please don't respond with, "that's not the way it always works" or "you can't just generalize." You can generalize and it's useful to generalize for the sake of explanation. Does that mean you should use this formula and expect to calculate with precision how specific businesses work? No, of course not. Let's not debate semantics.

Often on the internet, you'll find deals that drastically reduce the retail profits and sometimes reduce the distributor profits. This is why you see products at "40% off." If you are both the retailer and distributor, "40% off" often means they still have a 10% margin. Not bad if you do high volume sales. Companies like HeadRoom don't do high volume sales. There just aren't enough headphone geeks in the world. Still, according to Tyll (and you can find this in other threads if you do a search), Tyll discounts what is essentially the retailer profit margin and sales his amps at roughly three times the cost of parts and manufacturing.

Generally, I agree that you can't compare DIY with retail. However, another part of me says, of course you can compare an apple to an orange. They're both fruits and some people like Apples better. So, let's even the playing field. Let's say you've developed an amp and want to manufacture it. Take the cost of parts. Pay yourself what it would cost to pay someone to assemble it (remember to count overhead: tools, electricity, location, etc.). Now take this total and triple it. Now compare it to a commercial amp. Will you still win? Sometimes. *shrug* If you find yourself winning all the time, start an amp company.

RE: the price of doing business on the internet
Some would say the biggest guy is always the biggest target. Maybe that's why so many people hate Sony. Maybe it's why so many people make fun of the president. I think a more accurate thing to say is this: the most visible guy is the biggest target. So, if there are bigger audio companies (and there are), but HeadRoom is more visible in our community, I think that means, generally speaking, that they're going to catch more flack. Of course, they also get the word of mouth sales and recognition stuff.

I guess the question in the end is this: Is there a net sum gain for an audio company to participate in online forums given the amount of grief that participation costs?

This is the question I really intended this thread to discuss. Of course, we can discuss whatever you like, but I really wish people who just want to complain about the thread itself would get a life.

May 30, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #37 of 128
From community like this headroom hears what we think and what we dont like in their products. And if the changes arent 2 hard and expensive to make, they might even do em and people might notice the improvement. and if people realy liked the improvements the word would get out and people would like the products more, so its like accelerator. What visible company does get more impact, in good and in bad.

May 30, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #38 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave1

Thanks Dave1 for a spot-on commentary about this thread. I cannot begin to tell you how embarassed I am that we even started this thread.

It seems to me that there are a LOT of gratutitous cheap shots being taken at HeadRoom's expense. I am at least comforted that they seem to come from a small (but loud) minority. I often wonder to myself how many of these folks have even HEARD a HeadRoom amp...but I digress.

The loud minority does not speak for me...and given the responses that I'm reading right now, they don't seem to speak for an awful lot of us.

I believe that, based on his contribution to (and participation in) this forum, Tyll has more than earned the benefit of the doubt with regard to the original post that started this whole ****ty mess. As for the question of HeadRoom as a money making venture, this thread alone should convince most that he's entitled to whatever money he can get his hands on.

Thank you Tyll and everyone at HeadRoom. Don't let the bastards get you down.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #39 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
I don't.

The differences between Tyll's amps and the DIY amps in vogue now is great.
You really can't compare the two.

If you don't believe me just look at the profile of the most prolific amp maker here.
He can build any amp he wants for himself but owns a Max.
What does that tell you?

sure, he owns a max. But the max market hardly is the majority of the headphone amp market. What about the $100-500 segment? There are quite a few cmoy/cha47/meta42/gilmores being sold. Sure, the number of airhead/littles may outnumber them(possibly, not sure), but it seems as if a lot of newbies that come to the board are choosing DIY builders.

May 30, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #40 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I guess the question in the end is this: Is there a net sum gain for an audio company to participate in online forums given the amount of grief that participation costs?

This is the question I really intended this thread to discuss. Of course, we can discuss whatever you like, but I really wish people who just want to complain about the thread itself would get a life.

Rather off-topic thread title, then... can we get a mod to change it?

May 30, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #41 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

This is the question I really intended this thread to discuss.

While it is dangerous for a company to participate in an onlilne forum, for reasons similar to the thread that spawned this one. I have seen that same kind of action at gun forum I visit. They can also reap some really good pr rewards on forums. It's a gamble and a test of the company's integrity.
It's tough enough dealing with the public, but to do so where all your dirty laundry can be aired in full view, in space you're paying for, is a pretty ballsy move.
In the long run, the participation in an online forum can pay off handsomely. Provided you put out the effort to respond to negative comments. Which must get overwhelming sometimes.

I have a lot of respect for Headroom because they have the wherewithall to play in here and pay for here. I will always do business with a company I respect when ever I can.

May 31, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #42 of 128
If Kelly named this title based on what he interpreted Tyll's feelings to be, it's important to note why Tyll might have felt that way. Someone had a complaint about a HeadRoom product, but instead of calling HeadRoom first, or even posting a question in the HeadRoom forum here, they posted a new thread in the Amps forum (we moved it to the HeadRoom forum) and titled it "HeadRoom Max Parts Alert!!!" He then proceeded to imply that HeadRoom was dishonest, price gouging, etc... basically ripping people off.

As it turns out, according to Tyll HeadRoom had made the parts change a while ago (they're now using a less expensive part, but also using more parts, supposedly producing a better-sounding amp), but didn't realize they hadn't updated the website.

A simple call to HeadRoom probably would have resulting in HeadRoom changing the website list of parts, and this brouhaha would have been avoided.

Quote:

Originally posted by KJ869
I would say the parts+work paid+10-15% is good profit marginal

10-15% is nowhere near the kind of profit margins most companies need to survive. For a company like HeadRoom, which actually does R&D and production in-house, margins need to be significantly higher.

May 31, 2003 at 1:05 AM Post #43 of 128
I think I'll just vote with my money and time after time that money has gone to (and will continue to go to) HeadRoom.

May 31, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #45 of 128
I am glad that Headroom has the testicular fortitude to enter into the realm of a community forum. By doing this, they are providing a certain level of intimacy with the consumer, something rarely seen in today's sterile, take it and leave market. Consumers get the shaft more and more, as companies distance themselves from the customer. Not only is Headroom a good company, but they provide an invaluable service to us, the consumer, and I am sure that they learn a lot by participating in these forums. Yes, they may be a little more expensive than the next vendor, but I always base my purchase(s) on reputaion, customer service, and knowledge, not just the price. I agree, a problem with service or product should be brought to the vendor first, before it goes public on a forum. Keep up the good work folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back