Headroom vs. Corda croosfeed
Jan 5, 2002 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I think the benefits of a crosfeed filter/processor are good. Which one sounds better? I've only heard the Headroom version on the Max and older Airhead.

Lextek
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 8
I've heard the meier one and I really did not like it, completely depleted the soundstage... it put everything to the center of my head and the sound coming from the far right and far left dissappeared. Maybe a very very low setting may sound good for me, but I did not like it at what setting I heard it at (which I really do not know, is).

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 8
I think these cross-feed processors grow on you especially if you listen for long periods as it can reduce fatigue substantially for many people. However, it can depend on the music as on some music it is not really required/desired.

The effect can be subtle initially ... but when you get used to it you wonder why 8^).

I've found that both the Headroom and Meier cross-feeds can sound good but they definitely seem to have a different affect on the sound.

Admittedly I used it on the Total Airhead which is Headroom's cheapest amp and doesn't have the high freq filter. The effect to me is some increase in mid-bass and a rolloff of highs plus the cross-feed impact ( "slight" collapse of sound stage which recedes a little and a bit of added presence ... overall the effect to me is more comfortable listening over longer periods ).

The Meier cross-feed also has the "slight" reduction and receding in sound stage but when you switch it on /off the character of the sound seems to stay the same (ie no bass and/or treble changes ). This effect sounds like it would be totally undesirable but I quickly adjusted to it's effect and found it a plus because of the reduced fatigue. There doesn't seem to be the added presence probably because the HeadRoom's version is active and the Meier's version is passive. I have the Corda which has three settings and most of the time I prefer the lowest setting ... don't want too much of a good thing ;^).

I like the Meier cross-feed better because the character of the sound stays the same. Although I can listen to music with or without cross-feed, for extended listening, I prefer the lowest setting of the Meier cross-feed for most of my headphone listening.

Hope this helps as I'm not used to trying to verbalize this kind of stuff 8^P ... Gord.

Jan 6, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 8
There's a technical description of the crossfeed in the Corda on Jan's site under "projects" & "headamp". I'm waiting on my Corda to try it out.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I read about the man who invented/developed crossfeed earlier tonight, and wanted to give him a plug on Head-Fi. His name was Ben Bauer and he worked at CBS Laboratories in the 60's. He worked a lot on various equalization, interchannel crossfeed, and time delay schemes intended to make headphone listening sound more like floor speaker listening.

Jan 7, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 8
Crossfeed? We don't need no stinkin crossfeed. All you need is a good SET amp. Hi Kurt :>.

It seems some people find crossfeed beneficial. I, for one, don't seem to be affected by the lack of crossfeed. I own the TA and have used the Corda HA1. Must be an individuals psychoacoustic thing.

Jan 8, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a regular Airhead and I do use the crossfeed, I find it adds to the body of the sound a little bit, which I like (I prefer a somewhat warm sound myself), I also find it does reduce listening fautige a good bit, particularly on recordings that have a lot of hard left and hard right sounds. I do find that in some cases it does compress the soundstage a bit, but I am willing to take that minus, because in my mind the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back