Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp -- the DAC
Sep 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hatmann

100+ Head-Fier
How good is the DAC in Headroom's Ultra Desktop Amp (the unbalanced model)?

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 7
That's useful information -- thanks.

I do have one question, and perhaps Tyll can answer it: I see that the product bulletin for that DAC is dated March, 2003. Is it unusual to be using a DAC of such vintage in a high-end product today? Or is it so tried and true -- and good -- as to warrant continued use? I assume the latter but a comment from those who know would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I found this:
A highly favorable Stereophile review from April 2006 (with follow-up in November) included the following measurements of the Desktop with Max DAC:

"Wes Phillips reported getting good sound using the USB input from his computer. This gave the same maximum output level as the conventional digital inputs, but did raise the jitter level to 682.5ps, mainly due to the introduction of some high-level sidebands at the data-related frequencies of ±230Hz and its harmonics (grayed-out trace in fig.15, red-circled spectral lines). The central peak in this graph was also slightly wider than with the S/PDIF connection, implying the presence of some very-low-frequency random jitter. Even so, this was very much better jitter rejection than from any other product I have tested using a USB data interface."

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 7
HeadRooms gear, (I had the Micro Stack + DPS) tends to sound a little dark overall, and perhaps to much with the Dennons for my taste. I actually like this "darker" sound, but only with "bright" phones such as my SR-80s. Together they sing beautifully. For my portable setup I use the Total Airhead and ESW9s and the match is almost perfect for classical music. MMM mmm mmm mmm good. Plus, the customer service and build quality are second to none.

Kevin

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back