Headroom Triple-Stack Opinions ?
Jun 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
Headroom's Anniversary special on the Triple-Stack package is VERY tempting.
I'm due for an upgrade, so I am considering this.

Anyone have any experiences with this setup ?
-BUDA
-BUDAC
-Headroom Desktop Power Supply
-HD800

I would really like to read some of your opinions .

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Headroom's Anniversary special on the Triple-Stack package is VERY tempting.
I'm due for an upgrade, so I am considering this.

Anyone have any experiences with this setup ?
-BUDA
-BUDAC
-Headroom Desktop Power Supply
-HD800

I would really like to read some of your opinions .

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. I have gotten a little insight here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/611626/headroom-triple-stack-package

I think I will pass on the deal and get the new Schiit Balanced amp and DAC coming in the next month or so.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply,

I've read through that thread you had a link to in your post, and to be honest, I didn't get much out of it.

The new Schiit Balanced amp and DAC doesnt come with a headphone (like the HD800 being offered in the Headroom package), so which headphone would you plan on using with the Schitt ?

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I've read through that thread you had a link to in your post, and to be honest, I didn't get much out of it.

The new Schiit Balanced amp and DAC doesnt come with a headphone (like the HD800 being offered in the Headroom package), so which headphone would you plan on using with the Schitt ?

The Headroom package doesn't come with the HD800. I plan on using my HE-500 and HD650 on the Schiit set up

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
The Headroom triple stack pairs extremely well with a balanced HD600 or HD650, makes them shine.

This I agree with. It's what I am using right now. But the signature is rather passive and dark, so it's a love or hate it amp.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

This I agree with. It's what I am using right now. But the signature is rather passive and dark, so it's a love or hate it amp.

I bought the HR triple stack several years ago when it first came out (before the updated UDAC) to use with my HD800s.  I can't say that it was bad but as noted above, the overall SQ was rather dark and uninspiring for my taste.  On the positive side, it seemed to drive the HD800s well, had plenty of detail resolution and generally good soundstaging, although a bit distant sounding.   The bottom line is that I didn't think it was the best match for the HD800s, and I sold the entire HR package (but kept the HD800s).    My advice -- keep looking, there are better options for the HD800s.   There are plenty of suggestions on Head-Fi -- do a search. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back