Headroom Total Airhead
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MilesDavis2

100+ Head-Fier
My first portable amp and I am very impressed with the difference.  Using a DT770 32, Grado SR80, and Senn PX200.  I am not an audiophile as I am not fluent with specs.  Just use my ear to gauge. As a kid, enjoyed my father's sound system. He is a tube guy.
I am sure that there will be better amps out there costing $500.00 or more.  When I am ready for that move, which would you suggest in terms of portable amps.  I have narrowed it down to the Qube V2 and The Pico slim.  I prefer made in the USA products.  If you would have other suggestions, pls. do so.  I listen to coltrane, Miles and the likes of Return to forever. Thank you.  I am also new to HeadFi and enjoying and educating myself.  Thank you.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 10
If Your going to spend that much on a portable You should check out the Triad Audio Lisa III, USA made, about the same as the Qube and much better. The Pico is nice also. To spend that much are You going to upgrade Your phone's too. You should check out 1 thread by SkyLab called 56 portable amp round up if I remember right. Do Your research and ask question's You could do better in price range amp wise. Also look under the for sale/trade thread to see what someone is selling used. Another option! Just be Patient, I'm sure Your Dad has told You this.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you. I will give that a check.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 10
If Your just looking for portability You could also check out the PA2V2 amp, You'll find it on EBAY and the other would be the Fiio E5. Start small to get a taste then work Your way up to a better amp and phone's. Key is to take Your time and do Your research and enjoy. Tell Your Dad about DecWare amp's if He does'nt already know, I think He'd check it out. 
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Your suggestions have been greatly appreciated.  The Lisa III looks great and from the reviews, terrific but that would be for future consideration.  However, due to Skylab's review, I just ordered the Ibasso Mamba D4 yesterday.  Just like you said, start small and appreciate the changes.  The next one I'll be shooting for would be the decware.  This forum is terrific and I appreciate your straightforward advises without the heavy spec jargon.  At the end of the day, it's still the individuals hearing that determines the good form the bad.  Again, thank you.

BTW, when you suggested going for higher end phones, I am leaning towards the Senn 600 or 650, would that fall under high-end.  Does high end being dictated by ohm count?

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Let Me know what You think of the Ibasso, I myself have the DecWare ZH1 portable and I love that amp! It's 9 volt only and there's no recharging capabilitie's, You can buy a rechargeable battery with recharger and go that route. The Lisa III is rechargeable and You have to buy the cable thru them or unit if You looked up thier site same goes for the I Qube. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks again.  I have my sights on the decware portable.  The Headroom Airhead is sounding better each day with DT770 as they are both practically new and as they say burning in together.  The Ibasso, I would let you know when it comes and I have given it a listen, I think that these two initial amp purchases would be good for now as I would have to at least compare the two.  Then after reading Skylab's review as well as your input, I would have to get my hands on the portable decware.  The price of the Lisa III as well as the Qube, I could use towards a tube amp from Woo Audio.  That would again be in the future. Right now, just getting my goals straight.  Thanks again.  BTW, what do you listen to?  Assuming you're in NYC, used to spend alot of time in the village for the jazz.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Metal, Hard Rock, Rock and some classical. I like listening while burning in at the same time, I like hearing the subtle change's and how it start's coming together for Me. Listen at a comfortable level for You as not to hurt Your ear's, train Yourself to pick up the differenrt instrument's and different note's, truly enjoy what You're listening to. That's when You'll get a total grasp on why Your Dad and many other's love this hobby!

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 10
I also listen to classic rock and metal.  Alot of chicago blues too.  Have a great weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back