Headroom power amp question
May 3, 2008 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AndreYew

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Tyll,

I've been following HeadRoom's development of power amps with some interest. Did you guys compare the UcD against the ICEpower amp modules (or any other amp modules) when designing your amps? If so, why did you pick the ICEpower? Thanks.

--Andre

May 3, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 5
We listened to the Flying Mole Module, but mainly we asked around and the consensus opinion was that B&O were the ones doing it best. My experience with class-D amps is that they all sound pretty similar and the real risk is lack of performance in other areas like reliability or radiated noise. So, it was mostly an issues of going with the premium supplier who was likely building the most mature product.

May 5, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 5
I haven't really spent a lot of time researching it, my research boiled down to a nice long conversation with Jeff Roland who said that if any body had a grip on the weird problems of Class-D amps it was B&O. I'm really not inclined to argue with Jeff Roland about much.

Joe, of course, knows a lot more about the issue, and he, using the detailed engineering documentation, has done some specific things with the cable harnesses and board layout. I haven't spent too much time questioning Joe about the issue, because the sense I got was that the design, implementation, and documentation are very well thought out and executed and that Joe had a LOT of confidence in the product as did I. So, frankly, we just did exactly what the engineering documentation told to do to use the product, and it worked pretty darn well.

May 5, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 5
This is exciting. I just noticed these new products. So a sweet and small balanced headphone, unbalanced speaker system would be the Basic Audiophile Desktop Package but with a Balanced Headroom Desktop Amp replacing the basic unit. Add a balanced HD600, you have versatile heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back