HeadRoom Portable Micro impressions [UPDATED WITH PICS]
Mar 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 31
I've asked the folks at Headroom and around this forum... I'm supposed to hear a significant difference between the Total Bithead and the Micro. Don't get me wrong, the Micro does sound better... but not double the price better IMO. YMMV

I'm probably not as particular as most...

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 31
I don't think I remember how my micro stack (2006, I think) sounds compared to my RSA Hornet. When my Hornet comes back from Ray (hopefully it will be working), I'll have to check it out.

I sent it to Ray because it died on me (I was just past the 3-year warranty), and Ray said he'd check it out and that if it wasn't fried due to incorrect battery installation, etc., I'd only be responsible for shipping to and from.

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 31
I just bought the Portable Micro Amp last week. I dont have anything to compare it to, except my Xonar Essence, which is a pretty shabby amp.
I bought it to power my HD650's.
I am not sure I bought the right amp, as there is not much talk on this forum about this one. I still have 3 weeks to send it back.
I am happy with it, but I want to make sure I got the best amp for the money, as this amp wasn't cheap.

Comparisons anyone?

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike8585 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the Portable Micro Amp last week. I dont have anything to compare it to, except my Xonar Essence, which is a pretty shabby amp.
I bought it to power my HD650's.
I am not sure I bought the right amp, as there is not much talk on this forum about this one. I still have 3 weeks to send it back.
I am happy with it, but I want to make sure I got the best amp for the money, as this amp wasn't cheap.

Comparisons anyone?

If you like the way it sounds, keep it. It will server you very well for MANY years to come. I've had mine 5yrs strong!

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P-Micro is one of the least talked about portable amps that I've ever seen. Why?

That is exactly why I am questioning my purchase. I was asking at anythingbutipod forum, and 'dfkt' told me that in his opinion, the amp is too expensive for what it is. That lead me to doubt what I bought, and to ask myself how much better I could get for the same or less money.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #22 of 31
ABI... Not knowing how many amps dfkt has, and not being able to compare my P-Micro to any other amps at the same price range, I really can't say anything. Someone else needs to compare this to the Arrow, Pico, RSA's, Corda, whatnot...

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #23 of 31
I cannot find it on Headroom's site. Only the micro DAC and Micro amp.

Any links?

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 31
I had the micro amp and the pico at the same time. The amp sections I would say are comparable, with the Pico getting a small lead. The soundstage on the micro is excellent, but it seems to lack the strength in the low end that the pico has. I would also say that both amps are warm, but the pico is smooth. Really, great stuff, the pico is just to purdy to not have.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 31
Thanks 3602.

I have this unit and the micro dac (both of which I love), but I didn't understand why it's now being called a P-Micro since all of their Micros are Portable, and it's not called that on the website. When I bought the set in 2006 with the better amp module ("Max", I think and not "Home") they were $250 each or $500 for the pair, but the battery life was considerably shorter (only 5-6 hours).

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 31
Yeah, Max is a high performer and a real guzzler...
The whole thing with the previous Micros is that they can either run on DC or 2x 9v batteries. Tyll had an iRiver 140 + Micro DAC + Micro Amp as a portable!
redface.gif
But that was back then. Now the Micro amps and DACs are fully DC powered, and their once portable spirit now lives in the P-Micro... $200 bucks for the internal DAC. Way less bulky.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #29 of 31
No, couldn't afford it. Don't have a digital source, anyway.
Pretty bored these days, holding a small amount of green, playing around with earbuds... next item: Sennheiser OMX 90 (used)...

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 31
Yea, same here.
I only use the amp for portable use (no digital out) or on my HTPC, where I am satisfied with my Asus Xonar STX Essence, out to the Micro.

I was just asking to see what you thought of it. I figured it was too expensive also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back