Headroom portable micro amp with h650 : why not much bass ?
Oct 11, 2010 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aelkaim

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My question is in the title. The association of the micro amp with the Senn h650 lacks of depth. Not enough bass in other words. I would like to twang a bit more. And i don't who is mainly responsible for that. Could i get some advice ?

Best regards
Alexandre.

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 10
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your Headroom Micro portable cannot drive the HD650.You need a proper desktop amp like a Schitt Asgard or a Matrix M-Stage to drive the HD650 (around $250 for each). You will hear a substantial difference between the two amps above and your portable amp.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 10
I cannot say you are bearer of bad news. You just bring me truth, which obviously would have never come from headroom's mouth :) (they actually advised me to buy the h650 to match the portable amp i had bought)
The problem in what you say, is that i need a portable equipment working on batteries.
So what should i keep... Or sell ? Is the portable micro amp a good device ? Can i find less demanding headphones ?
Am i fully wrong ? :)

Alexandre

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 10
I've head people say the Headstage Arrow 12HE can properly drive the HD650s but I've got no first hand experience.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 10
I tried running my HD650's off my Headstage Arrow 12HE and it does seem to amp it pretty well as far as cleaning up the sound and making it more refined. I personally prefer my Little Dot MKIII w/ the HD650s over the Arrow, but I really do feel it's more of a sidestep, rather than an improvement. It doesn't really "improve" the sound, it just makes it sound a little different.... a different flavor that I happen to prefer.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Hi,

My question is in the title. The association of the micro amp with the Senn h650 lacks of depth. Not enough bass in other words. I would like to twang a bit more. And i don't who is mainly responsible for that. Could i get some advice ?

Best regards
Alexandre.

What other headphones have you heard your HD650s with?

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 10
This is well my problem... I've never heard my H650 with an other amp. The only thing I can say; it is not enough harmonious. Well above, the Shure S530 I also tried with the amp. It is not as much refined, but clearly more homogeneous. I suppose I've just broken an open door :)

Best regards
Alexandre

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
This is well my problem... I've never heard my H650 with an other amp. The only thing I can say; it is not enough harmonious. Well above, the Shure S530 I also tried with the amp. It is not as much refined, but clearly more homogeneous. I suppose I've just broken an open door :)

Best regards
Alexandre

That's kind of what I thought. The bass from the Headroom amp is quite ample. I did own the pairing. That is how the HD650s sound.

It can be more powerful with other amps, but not by much over the Microamp. Better amps will give it more control and clarity.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 10
I regularly drive my HD650's with my Headroom Micro with desktop module, and am pretty happy with the bass. It's somewhat tighter and more articulate when running on external power supply, but on battery it's still by my call very good. This is my standard config for listening in hotel rooms while on the road, and it's kept me happy for some years now. I listen mostly to guitar rock, fusion jazz - plenty of bass line to push the combination, and it hasn't fallen over for me yet.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back