HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp vs. Pico or Predator
Oct 1, 2009 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an all-in-one transportable DAC/Amp for a travel rig to go with a Mac Book Pro. Size is not a huge issue, so I am willing to consider something bigger like the HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp. The question is, is bigger necessarily better? Has anyone compared the Portable Desktop to the Pico or Predator, either of which could be had for less than half the price?

I know the DAC of the Pico and the amp of the Predator get raves, but I'd love to hear how the HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp compares in both areas.

Yes, I have searched and found a few general, positive reviews of the Desktop Portable. But nothing that compares it to the more compact line of USB DAC/Amps out there.

BTW, my transportable headphone of choice will be the Edition 8.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Anyone??

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Pico, because that is the one I have and love.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 4
I have not heard the most recent versions of the desktop portable, the model I heard was from I think 2006 and it was an incredible piece if not a bit over kill for a portable (I think that's the point thou, eh?). If you need the features, and I/O of the desktop portable and can swing the cash I see no reason you'd be disappointed with the sound. I would describe the desktop portable as having a bit of a mid / mid lower push, very easy on the ears, not fatiguing. I have done half a dozen direct comparisons between the RSA hardware and the Pico w/ DAC, and the Pico is by far the superior product, from neutrality in sound, to design I would go with the Pico, but if the features of the desktop portable are desirable I would go with it. It's hard to compare directly thou as you're talking about comparing two amps to a unit specifically designed to be the ultimate portable, all in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back