HeadRoom Millett Desktop Hybrid Amp
Jan 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
HeadRoom Millett Desktop Hybrid Amp

Why was this amp discontinued? I searched this forum and very few sited threads appeared concerning this amp.

- was it a matter of 'why dabble in an already heavy market of tube amps'?
- was it a matter of focus, i.e., focusing on providing the best solid state headphone amps available?

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 17
It didn't sell very well. It was a decent little amp, but it wasn't really a tube amp, wasn't really a solid state amp. Just a little lost boy in shorts out in the cold ... so we shot him.

Bean counting makes for brutal decisions.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 17
I imagine you blindfolded him first, propped him on a post out back and stuck a lit cigarette into his headphone jack. Then, marching twenty paces behind turned, took aim, and it was over. It's really the only civil way to handle these things. My hat is off to you for your compassion. At least he didn't have to suffer.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcelain Heart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine you blindfolded him first, propped him on a post out back and stuck a lit cigarette into his headphone jack.

It was much gentler.

A walk in the woods.

Arm over shoulder.

Look at the bird!

Pop! In the back of the head.

Never knew what happened.

Probably still looking at the bird.

Sigh... commerce is hardball.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 17
I still love my Millet (noticed the spelling Tyll)

As Tyll said, its not really a tube, not really SS...just kinda in between and boy its nice.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 17
im listening to it as we speak, stanton moore, 12FK6, xfeed on to give it alittle more warmth =)

dam fine amp..

Sup Uncle Tyll and Jorge =)

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 17
I am glad that I had a chance to purchase HR Millett from fellow head-fier earlier this year. I believe this one was the very last MH amp that HR sold. I know this is not the best amp out there but I surely can live with this amp if I had to choose only one amp. It is singing beautifully as my bedside rig. I usually retire to my bed at the end of day listening to some tunes with my trusty ER4S. It sounds wonderful with ER4S.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 17
well, by chance i have found a desktop millet hybrid. 

even though i was hoping, i never imagined i would find one quite this fast and it is brand new. won at a raffle by one that cannot tolerate headphones, this desktop hybrid has never been used and has been sitting in a box for at least one and a half years. it will come with the headroom mugs, velcro ties, stickers and i'm not sure what else that was won at the raffle along with the amp.

it has the desktop module in it so now my search is for a 06' home module for it. mike is helping me in a search for one but if anyone knows of one that can be had, i'm very much interested.

i will be glad when it is here for it still feels like a dream..

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I am glad that I had a chance to purchase HR Millett from fellow head-fier earlier this year. I believe this one was the very last MH amp that HR sold. I know this is not the best amp out there but I surely can live with this amp if I had to choose only one amp. It is singing beautifully as my bedside rig. I usually retire to my bed at the end of day listening to some tunes with my trusty ER4S. It sounds wonderful with ER4S.

Hi JustHavingFun,

That is so cool. Glad the Millett amp is working out so nicely!

No question, the audio synergy between the Millett Hybrid's tonal warmth and 'forward'-leaning or well-extended 
headphones (like the ER4S) is indeed excellent.

Enjoy!
ksc75smile.gif

jorge
HR Sales and Service Manager

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 17
thanks jorge! will do..

headroom is just great to deal with and i so enjoy the products it produces. mike is helping me find a home module to complete the desktop millet hybrid and i sure do appreciate his help!

i'll be glad to know when i can go after work tomorrow afternoon to pick up the desktop millet hybrid at the station. it want be real until it is in my hands. 

unfortunately i will not get much time to enjoy it this weekend for it will be a busy one at work for it is our biannual inventory on saturday and sunday will be catch up day. if inventory goes by smoothly on saturday maybe i can get off work early enough that i can at least get it setup before having to go to sleep. my days start very early in the morning with first alarm at 2:30am and it takes four to get me up. q:O) i have sever sleep apnea and all i want to do is sleep..

on saturday some cablepro custom vitality rca cables are coming to complete my sets for the desktop hybrid. ted's such a good person to deal with and i sure like the products he makes. 

also coming in sometime next week i have some vampire sc-1108 and st-1 speaker cables that i happened across and mat has terminated them for me. these cables will be for the desktop bi-amps. 

i'm thinking the desktop hybrid will not only be a killer headphone amp but will also make an excellent preamp for the desktop bi-amps. the udac will source this setup from my mac. previously using the ultra micro amp and dac. i also have the desktop dps in there.

i'm almost ready to play q:O)

i never thought i'd have the money to make this happen. what other headroom product do i need in this setup? i dream of the buda too..

Quote:
Hey Noseallinit,

Holy moly!

A big congratumalations and CHEERS to you!

Let us know what u think once you get all friendly with your "new" Millett

beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back