Headroom MicroDAC verdict?
Dec 10, 2005 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been considering the Headroom MicroDAC for home use. I've done a search and read most of the postings about it, but there isn't really anything definitive as far as I can see. There are a couple reviews of the Micro Stack, but in those it's hard to know how much of what's being heard is due to the Micro Amp and how much is due to the Micro DAC. There is a somewhat cryptic review of the MicroDAC versus the Spitfire DAC, but I didn't get much out of that one. Then there are various scattered postings and meet impressions.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread asking for opinions specifically about the MicroDAC. Can you describe the sound? Is it on the bright side or is it on the warm side? Is there enough bass or is it lean? Are you satisfied with it?

Dec 10, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 12
I havent heard the MicroDAC, and I love headroom products, but im not sure it's the best dac around for HOME use. It's a portable, and you pay for that with both money and performance. You need to find out if you prefer Oversampling DAC's or NON-OS. There are some great non-os dac's out there for less, like DAC-AH, Used Scott-Nixon's, Dialogue II and Constantine, used Ack Dack! etc. Im not slamming the microdac, but like I said it is a portable. Once you take out the space for batteries the entire circuit is about the size of a pack of smokes. The Desktop DAC/home/max dac's are much better but only availible with a desktop amp. If you want an oversampling dac there are not as many options in that price range, but there are still some good used dac's out there.

Dec 10, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks, but I'm not interested in non-oversampling DACs right now. (I don't really want to get into a debate about the merits of non-OS versus OS, either.) I'm just basically interested in how the MicroDAC sounds.

Dec 10, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 12
In that case, it sounds alot like an X-Fi, or Emu 0404, they use the same DAC chip afterall. The Microdac would be slightly cleaner and probably more refined, but the same sound signature. Which would be extremly detailed, fairly neutral leaning towards bright. If your main use is computer you'd get 90% of it's performance out of an 80$ emu. If you don't plan to go portable with it why are you buying a portable. Your paying for that feature.

Dec 10, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 12
Have you listened to the MicroDAC? Is it really on the bright side? Is that in comparison to non-OS DACs? (I'm not going to buy a non-OS DAC.)

I realize it uses the same DAC as those sound cards, but the power supply, analog stage, and grounding scheme can make a big difference with DACs, so people with direct listening impressions of the MicroDAC would be welcome to chime in.

I can't buy an E-MU or X-Fi because I use a laptop and really only about 30% of my listening is computer-based anyway. 70% of the time I'd be using the MicroDAC to improve the sound of my Sony DVD player.

Dec 10, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 12
I wouldn't use the microdac in a strictly non-portable system. It just doesn't have enough resolution. There are plenty of options in nonportable gear that are better. For example, I bought a used original MSB LinkDAC for $100us, which is smoother and has better resolution, even though lack of resolution is my main complaint with the MSB.

I haven't been able to set up the microdac that great on my home system, but here's a few things I notice about it. Main thing is it seems to be designed specifically for cans, not speakers. But I don't listen to cans at home, so...

Listening through my home system with speakers...
First thing that jumps out is the extreme highs are very noticable. It gives a soft feel to cymbals. Then, still focusing on cymbals, the meat's missing. There's something in the 200-500Hz range that's a little shy. This might be why people call it bright. The lack in that male-vocal nasal area tends to bring the mids forward. Lastly, the bass is a little tubby rather than deep and flat.

Okay, time for impressions on the road, but I only use IEMs, so your mileage may vary. The extreme highs are still very noticable, and the cymbal meat is missing. The bass comes back into its own without the tubbiness. The mids are still a bit forward.

I'm only focusing on the faults because that's where personality comes from. The rest is all pretty good.

Dec 10, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 12
AlanY, I use MicroDAC for similar purpose as you. Since I tavel extensively outside the country for business, I need my music. Using MicroDAC (with battery) is a blessing with my trusty Titanium G4 notebook along with SR-71 or Xin's Supermini3. I had the MicroAmp and returned it. Initially I liked the MicroDAC + MicroAMP (desktop module) combination that gave lower bass extension and lot of details with vocal fowardness, like if I am sitting on the very first row in a concert.

Again...these are purely my opinions and comments. This is NOT a review. It's only my experience. Upon further listening to MicroDAC+MicroAMP (desktop module) conbination...I did not like it. I craved for larger soundstage SR-71 gave with very neutral and balanced sound. Granted I did not let MicroAMP burn-in enough but my MicroDAC was fully burned in, since I got it much earlier than MicroAMP. I got my SR-71 back from my brother which I sold to him few days prior to deciding to return the MicroAMP.

More and more I listen to Titanium G4 (via USB) + MicroDAC + SR-71 + HD650/Zu cable (or UM2 and others) it gave a nice balance to the music without exaggerating the bass and it had a very crisp detail. The soundstage was wide like I am sitting few rows back and watching and enjoying my music rather than getting too involved with the music, like with MicroAMP. When using MicroDAC with Xin's Supermini3 amp, it's combination of both SR-71 and MicroAMP. It had some vocal forwardness as MicroAMP with wider soundstage as SR-71.

At home, I use the MicroDAC with PowerMac G5 (via optical out) + MicroDAC + SR-71 (or Supermini3) as preamp + IMPAMP + Bose 201 series 3 as my desktop sound system.

Bottom line...after using MicroDAC with my Titanium G4 (via USB out) or PowerMac G5 (via Optical out)..I can NOT go back not using a DAC. To answer your question directly, my opinion is most DAC will be better than using no DAC. As you can see from my above ranting...MicroDAC has advantage to be used both for portable and desktop.

Lately...I am wondering what other DACs sound like. I think I am done with sampling portable amps. Now I see how much DAC can significantly change my music SQ. I feel the need to sample other desktop based DACs:wink:

For you experienced DAC users out there....which do you recommend for desktop DAC that will be used mainly for listening to 320kbps AAC music files from (Mac based) iTune. I am considering Spitfire or CIAUDIO VDA1. My budget is below $400.

btw...it's nice to know Headroom had 30day return policy:wink:

Dec 10, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 12
SiBurning, I'm a little surprised by your comments.

The Micro DAC is actually the only HeadRoom DAC I've heard, but I have listened to the other extensively, and the Desktop DAC is almost identical so that's a good enough reference.

I've said it before and I'll say again that to my ears the HeadRoom DAC's are killer for the money. I find them to be exceptionally balanced, and contrary to what you said about being designed for headphones, I'd venture that a product designed primarily for headphone use has to be engineered to higher standards due to the inherently revealing nature of high end headphones. The only thing I would change is the AD822 opamps which really aren't that resolving. I'm surprised they didn't go with the OPA134's like they did in the Desktop board. I'm not sure the power requirements are that different are they?

The flaw in the DAC for home use is that it doesn't come with a 'home-grade' power supply. The 'brick' just isn't good enough for the electronics inside, and the DPS is overkill for a $299 DAC. The work around is to use it only off battery power, but then you'll be forever reaching round the back swapping batteries. Regarding resolution, the 'brick' is certainly a muddy sounding power supply, which is greatly cleaned up by the batteries or DPS. The DPS does provide more voltage than the batteries, allowing for more 'HeadRoom' in the sound.

Also, I find that, possibly due to the meddling of the computer with the signal, the USB input is slighly thinner and brighter than the optical output from my airport express. I strongly recommend a kernel streaming solution for USB i/o.

Dec 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

In that case, it sounds alot like an X-Fi, or Emu 0404, they use the same DAC chip afterall

The MicroDac uses the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the EMU 1212m and the X-Fi Elite Pro, the 0404 uses a different one.

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
SiBurning, I'm a little surprised by your comments.

Maybe I was a little surprised too, which is why I added a note about only focusing on the bad things, although the presentation of the extreme highs is NOT a bad thing, but rather a strength of the microDAC, but mentioned because it's something other equipment misses.

Also, note that I admit not being able to set it up properly, and not using headphones for the comparison. Specificaly, the tubbiness isn't there at all with my IEMs (Shure 5, Etymotic erp4, Westone um2), but is there with my speakers.

One other thing I have to question. I love the MSB LinkDAC for rock, blues, etc. but it doesn't cut it for classical. It fails both the string quartet and the large orchestra tests. It just doesn't have enough resolution and the timbres of different instruments blurr together. The microDAC has less resolution than the MSB. So... What music are you listening to?

[edit]
About resolution... Reading back what I first wrote doesn't make sense, so I'll try again. Maybe it'll illustrate my perspective on resoution...

The MSB has better resolution and a more even presentation than the microDAC. This seems largely due to some shyness of the MicroDAC around 200-500, the lack of which brings the mids forward. I notice this with my IEMs, too. Now, both of these DACs fail my string quartet and large orchestra tests, but I have a problem with these tests because it takes very capable speakers. My main speakers can't handle it and instrument timbres blend together. When I was auditioning CD player and DACs I bought a pair of Epos M5 to get enough resolution to hear the DACs properly. The problem with them is there's no bass. But, it resolves enough that I can distinguish between two violins in a string quartet, and can hear the individual instruments within some of the chords played by sections in an orchestra. This is already bordering on the capabilities of my ears, but I'd like more, and have auditioned equipment that does this, but has other faults. For rock, I also prefer the MSB because of the MicroDAC's nasal-area shyness/forward mids. I don't think either of these DACs would be my preferred reference, although both are good, capable DACs.

[edit 2]Oops! just noticed your music preference and occupation. Maybe all those loud bands I listen too affect my hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit 3]Aside from comments by SK138 about pairing it with either the headroom microAMP vs. the SR71 (whose comments I agree with), noone's talked about how the microDAC actually sounds vs. other DACs, so I tried to give some basic impressions, even if they're admittedly not a perfect review.

Dec 10, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your detailed comments. Apart from the lean quality in the lower midbass, is this a harsh sounding DAC, or is it relatively smooth?

Dec 10, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 12
As the one that brought it up, I wouldn't call it either harsh or lean. To my ears it has a more forward presentation of the mids because of the slight leanness, and this also affects highs, such as the lack of meatiness of cymbal crashes. It's a rather small effect, but it colors the sounds hanging above it. People who listen to a lot of vocals, particularly females, might even prefer this kind of forward presentation of the mids. Not a warm amp, but not bright either.

If I had to paint it in broad strokes, it's fairly neutral and smooth, with rather a slight, but definite coloring as described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back