Headroom Micro w/ Desktop Module: Positive Impressions
Jul 7, 2005 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been enjoying the Headroom Micro w/ desktop module for a few days now. The desktop module is a free upgrade over the standard module with the only tradeoff being lower battery life (Headroom quotes 8-10 hours on 2 9V, compared to 15-20 hours with the standard module). I've been listening to it exclusively with the included power supply, the iPod 4G with Pocketdock line out, Grado RS-1, and Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. Needless to say, this amp is a remarkeable improvement over my old Total Airhead in every sense.

Overall build quality is excellent with a machined aluminum enclosure and rubber endcaps. I like the fact that I don't have to run it off batteries: I can use the sturdy power supply which is included. It is larger than the Airhead and slightly bulkier than the SR-71. Still, it is very portable and has some features that the competition doesn't: three way gain switch and crossfeed. The crossfeed on the Micro is much more effective than the crossfeed on the Airhead.

The sound is surprisingly coherent for a $300 amp. The amp's tonal balance is slightly on the warm side, which for me is a positive for an amplifier that is relegated primarily to portable sources like the iPod. Bass is a little round, yet in a very pleasing manner. The critical factor for me is the ability to focus images into a reasonable soundstage. While this amp doesn't compete in this regard to more expensive offerings, it is surprisingly good at creating a sense of space with both the HD-650 and RS-1. The trait that stands out is a midrange with great tone and texture. Listening with the RS-1, female vocals are extremely seductive. The Joni Mitchell album 'Ladies of the Canyon' is in 128bps on my iPod and the recording is thin. The Micro to the RS-1 resolves the vocals with body and depth, something I never thought was possible from the recording. Patricia Barber, Live in France is an excellent recording and is stored in my iPod in Apple lossless format. The detail in the jazz instrumental Crash is immediately apparent, with the rythmically driving bass lines, symbol snaps and drum kicks each in its own acoustic space. On the vocal tracks, Barber comes through clear and smooth. The Micro cuts right through some funkier tracks too, like the funk/jazz/jam band Lettuce. On the Outta Here album, funky bass lines and guitar licks come through with all the PRaT necessary to get you toe tapping (The Omega II/KGSS is too smooth and lacks excitement on this album).

I am very happy so far with the Micro w/ Desktop Module. The Micro/RS-1 is a fun combo. It allows the PRaT of the RS-1 to shine through while maintaining a smooth and warm sound with an inviting midrange. Its the kind of sound that allows me to connect with the music and keeps my attention. The fact that I can carry this setup with me to the office is an added bonus!

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 17
Hey Canman, that’s a very nicely written analysis of the Micro with the Desktop module. I’ve been waiting for someone to post their impressions, especially since I’m having the module installed in my Coda right now.

People should realize that this is an extremely competent amp for the price, which is only $270 with a contributor discount! So for the something smack dab in between the cost of a Portaphile and Xin SM, you get all the R&D, professionally built amp, future upgradeability and support from an established business. Paired up with the Micro DAC (a genuine audio bargain), these things should be flying off the shelves.

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for the impressions Canman...

I'm also waiting for my Coda to be upgraded...and I'm REALLY hoping that it arrives before the weekend!!

I liked the unit with the stock module. I can't wait to sample the desktop module. The Desktop certainly sounded good at our Detroit meet.

Hurry, please, HeadRoom!!! Not that it's been gone for long...just SEEMS that way.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 17
I would definately second what Canman has to say. I, too, just received a Micro amp with the Desktop module, and I think it sounds great. Wow, warm and detailed at the same time! Build quality probably a 8/10, and value hard to say, but the music is a 10/10 for sure. Thumbs up for Headroom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 17
Glad you're enjoying it man! And I think your post is a very nice start to the forthcoming full review.
tongue.gif
I've been playing with portable amps quite a bit myself lately and I'm finding them much neater and more enjoyable than I expected to have around. Glad to have some company!

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Hey flyers dude (canman) that was a great and informative piece. It helps newbs like myself to understand. I am not familiar with headroom products and the fact you made it easy to understand was excellent.

BTW we spanked your flyers in the playoffs didn't we?

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 17
Man I hate Detroit fans...

And I can't even make myself like hockey! I really tried, too...

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFRfan
Man I hate Detroit fans...

And I can't even make myself like hockey! I really tried, too...

Whoa there meatstick. This is an amp thread. Meet me "downstairs" and be prepared to drop the gloves.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 17
I've had my Coda ugraded with the desktop module for a few days now, and right out of the box it sounds great. I'm very pleased!! Thanks HeadRoom for giving all us early adaptors a crack at this very nice upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
People should realize that this is an extremely competent amp for the price, which is only $270 with a contributor discount!

Sorry for side-tracking, but does that discount apply at any level?
confused.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 17
I wanted to contibute anway due to wealth of information and the nice company, but now you're revealing a very nice financial incentive. Thanks for mentioning it here, as I can imagine not everyone was aware!
cool.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 17
I've been listening to the Micro w/desktop module for a few days now. I totally concur with Canman's observations. This amp really tames the DT 931's highs without sacrificing details. The 120 ohm adapter, which seems to add bottom to the DT 931 seems pretty superfluous now (using the Micro DAC as a source from the USB jack of my computer).

For those of you who've had the Micro/deskop for a while, does the sound change/improve with "burn-in"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back