Headroom Micro Stack To The UK
Feb 17, 2006 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

roblo

Head-Fier
Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience importing a Micro Stack to the UK? The shipping quote I got from them was fine but I resent paying more on top for the £370 this lot will cost me. Do they mark goods at commercial value or as a low value gift? Is there any way around the VAT, import duties etc.? Also how much did anyone else imorting to Europe or anywhere other than North America pay in tax? I need (well really want) these things but its looking like im gonna have to pay 20% ontop of the price in taxes.

Cheers

Rob

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm only replying because I love London, and Londoners are always so gracious to me everytime I visit.

Unfortunately, "The only thing that's certain in life is Death and Taxes."

All I can say is that the Micro Stack is awesome and worth whatever you have to pay or whatever you have to wait to get it.

As this member states: "Believe the hype."

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164219

Cheers.

(I miss Caffrey's. Can't find it anywhere around here
mad.gif
)

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by roblo
Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience importing a Micro Stack to the UK? The shipping quote I got from them was fine but I resent paying more on top for the £370 this lot will cost me. Do they mark goods at commercial value or as a low value gift? Is there any way around the VAT, import duties etc.? Also how much did anyone else imorting to Europe or anywhere other than North America pay in tax? I need (well really want) these things but its looking like im gonna have to pay 20% ontop of the price in taxes.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

I purchased a Microstack before Christmas and am very happy with this. Headroom use FedEx for shipping and quote the full commercial value - so you will have to pay the VAT/Duty on the shipment. Having said that there is nothing comparable that you can by in the UK IMHO.

Ed

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Ed, do you remember how much you paid on top of the total? In the end I guessed I would have to pay it but when I ordered my Turbo dock I didn't pay anything, so I was hoping for the same.

Cheers for the help

Rob

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Import charges (if you get stung) should be worked out as shown:

Item cost + Postage = Total Value
Total Value x Customs Duty Rate (%) = Customs Duty
(Total Value + Customs Duty) x 17.5% = VAT

So, the tax is calculated on the cost of the item plus the shipping (postage) costs. The Customs Duty rate is variable depending on what you buy, but the VAT is always 17.5%.

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 13
jesus so if i understand correctly you pay customs duty AND VAT????

why did i move to this god forsaken country????
tongue.gif

It really is like some of my work colleagues say: if you time it right, you can grab cheap flights to the US and you get to have a holiday, cost of which is covered by the savings on electronic and clothing purchases you make there! Lol although they tend to blow crap loads of money so i guess its worthwhile...

Damn i need more disposable income.

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Cheers Dork,

I got that far but its finding out the duty rate thats the hard part, I have the 10 digit number you need (I hope its the right one) but they don't list the cost, some electrical goods get 15%, some are free (im hoping for the latter). Im goona have to call the customs people on monday and find out, as if its closer to 30% then I will have to look at a different options.

Tezzla, you pay £->$ + a heap usually, get used to it, I get v. cheap BA flights but, I too have very little disposable income and I can't justify a flight to the states to buy stuff more than once every couple of years (I was there last March and I have other plans this year, India next month!)

Rob

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Someone on another forum I visit imported a £350 DVD player, I've just done a copy and paste:

Quote:

bought a DVD player, a flash one, from the States that cost you £350 including shipping.

350 x 14% = £49 Customs Duty
(350 + 49) x 17.5% = £69.82 VAT
Total tax £118.82

I know a number of people who have had items sneak through, others get stung as shown above. I tend to ask for items to be shipped insured, but marked as a $10 electronic gift.

I've found that if items are not marked down and are shipped standard airmail, then tend to sneak through - Yet I've been stung with every priority mail (FedEx/UPS/DHL etc) which has not been marked down.

I've seen some right blinders where customs have worked out the import/customs charges on the Dollar, rather than pound so the cost is horrific.

Feb 19, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Everything i've imported so far has worked out to be 20% of the declared value in £'s - Not so bad for small items but big ticket things leave a bad taste in the mouth... Damn money grabbing government - it's not like they dont relieve me of £500 out of my wages every month already!
mad.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi Rob,

Why not become a contributing member to Head-fi for USD20? This will assist you in two ways, one you get a 10% discount at Headroom so your initial purchase cost is lower, and two because of the lower cost the VAT & customs will be correspondingly lower. Anything to cut down on overall costs is worthwhile.

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back