Headroom Micro or Desktop Module
Sep 7, 2005 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kedarroy

New Head-Fier
Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered - a search did'nt show much.

I'm going to be purchasing a Headroom Micro amp soon to go with my HD-650's and CD player, computer and iPod (I like the option of crossfeed which is why I'm not getting an SR-71 or AE-1.) It will probably be 50% wall power and 50% battery power.

Is there a great sound quality difference between the Micro and Desktop modules?

What is the real-world battery life of the desktop module (I read something online that said the desktop module will only give you something like 6 hours on battery power)?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 8
I had the MicroAmp with Desktop module.

If sound is the most important without a doubt get the Desktop module but your battery life will take a big hit. I got between 3 and 6 hours using very good batteries depending on the headphones used. As low as 3 hours with my DT880s and 6 hours with my ET4Ps. I also get 6 hours on my MicroDAC. I do not know how much more battery life you would get with the Micro module but you will take a significant hit on sound. If being transportable rather than portable is your objective simply purchase an extra AC adapter and be done with it. The Desktop module makes it is close to the SR-71 and AE-1 in sound quality. The Micro module is better than but closer to the Total Bithead sound. My batteries were the 220 Ipower and the 270 Accupower rechargeables from Thomas-Distributing. I also felt that the Desktop module on batteries did not keep up with the MicroAmp with the Desktop module on AC adapter with all music varieties.

My 2 cents worth if it is worth even that much.

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Go Desktop or go home
eek.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
ya definately get the desktop module and if batteries are a problem buy the 10 9v battery rapid charger thats sold on headroom and stock up on some rechargables. i love my micro amp w/desktop module.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 8
I get about 5-7 hours with my ER4S with average quality rechargeables.

I don't use batteries anymore....the way the power switch works, without batteries inserted, the "Battery" position becomes an Off Switch. I might order another power adapter so I can have a secondary location for using it (at work)

From what understand, the Micro module is still a huge jump over the Airhead in terms of sound quality, so don't be hesitant to get that if you think you really will rely on batteries often. But otherwise, go for the Desktop if you will be driving some pretty high end headphones, it works very well with my DT880's

Sep 8, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the replies - after emailing other users I've decided that perhaps the AE-1 or SR-71 would be better...I really wish I was able to go to that San Jose meet!

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Don't underestimate the usefulness of crossfeed if you listen to older stereo recordings or a lot of non-live mixes. That's why I went with the Micro (plus the fact it is cheaper....you get 10% off if you become a contributor.

I heard the SR-71 before and I think the Micro with Desktop will easily run with it. I think the one at the San Jose meet was the Micro module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back