HeadRoom Micro DAC
Apr 1, 2006 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jl123

100+ Head-Fier
The other night I was considering an upgrade to an x-fi xtrememusic for my desktop(currently has audigy2zs) and also an audigy 2 zs notebook for my laptop. If I come home for the weekend I end up bringing my desktop, ppa, steps, and hd650s and I was thinking it'd be great to just bring my laptop with the audigy 2zs notebook but then I got to thinking why not just go with the micro dac.

I've heard great things about the micro dac and was wondering if using the usb feature on it was any better than say the audigy2zs pcmcia card. I guess I also want to know if it'd be an improvement over the x-fi. How does the usb feature work? Is it better to use the coaxil/optical inputs over the usb?

Heh sorry for the lack of organization. Had to get this in before I forget. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123

I've heard great things about the micro dac and was wondering if using the usb feature on it was any better than say the audigy2zs pcmcia card.

much, much better.

Quote:

How does the usb feature work?

plug and play.

Quote:

Is it better to use the coaxil/optical inputs over the usb?

depends on how good your toslink/coax cables are.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

Have any studies been done that show that data is transferred better via different IC's?

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 18
I use the audigy pcmcia card into the Micro Dac via the optical. I know it's not the ideal since the audigy does the upsampling, but it sounds really really good. I tried getting the whole asio4all think to work via the usb, but i found it to be quite flakey, and I got the clicking/popping noises that others have noticed as well. My understanding of that issue was that it was not the fault of the Micro Dac, more because of issues with ground loops through the usb. Anyway, I love the Micro Dac, and the Micro Amp is great as well.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

icon10.gif

You know, I am actually very keen on finding myself a Van Den Hul tos to minitos and compare it to the €1 one doing the job now. Seriously, one day I'll do it.

jl123, they *should* all sound the same, but USB or Coax can have problems with groundloops. Use optical if it means no hassle.

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the replies guys. You think I should just go ahead with the dac? If I went with the sound cards I'd be spending over 200 after shipping anyways. If for some reason I have issues with the usb, would buying a cheap av710 be good enough to use with the dac?

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Great. Anyone know how long they take to ship one out if they have it in stock? I'm coming back home next weekend to pickup my metcal station and a bunch of other stuff. It'd be nice to get all my toys at once.
icon10.gif

I've seen parcels from Headroom arrive at my place in less than a week, and I am in Europe. They seemingly have a BIG gun firing stuff over the Atlantic hidden somewhere in Montana. Just call them & ask, they'll let you know.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 18
lol nice...I'm confident they'd come through for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
If not then not a big deal. Didn't there used to be some 10% discount for head-fi's? I might be pulling that out of a dark place...
confused.gif

Heh, I had a question, then I read the description and found my answer.

I really appriciate the great responses.

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

It's ordered.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh my what have I done!?

You done good, mister.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 18
i wish you the best. i had to wait for cables to plug in my amp over the weekend it sucked but i got work done LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back