Headroom micro dac upgrade
Jun 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sithuk

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I bought a Headroom Micro DAC when I needed a more portable setup. I've been slowly upgraded to a home based setup. My current kit:

FLAC -> Squeezebox (SPDIF out) -> Micro DAC -> Graham Slee Solo SRG -> HD 600 (Cardas cable upgrade)

The upgrade bug has just bitten again. I've just bought a set of HD 650 headphones.

1) Would I notice a benefit in upgrading the Micro DAC to something like a Dacmagic, Matrix Cube, or an Audio GD NFB 3?

2) I've read recently that a top end CD player can output a better quality "digital" signal than a wireless stream from a PC to a receiver like the squeezebox, something about jitter as I recall. Is there any truth to this? I had thought that it was ones and zeros and that was it?

Thanks,

Sithuk

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Update: I've just made the move to a Squeezebox Touch.

I've been comparing the analogue outs on the Touch to that from the Headroom Micro DAC and the micro DAC sounds ever so slightly better on the highs, there isn't much in it. Would I get much benefit in replacing the Micro DAC with a Yulong D100 or a NFB 3.1? I've read some good things about the Peachtree DACiT too.

Has anyone else done a comparison with a 2006 Micro DAC and the analogue outs from the Squeezebox Touch? They both sound great but I'm worried the Micro DAC may now be the bottleneck in my system. Would I get a noticeable improvement by moving to one of the ~$300 DACs I typed above?

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi guys, a few years later, and an update on my chain as follows.
pc optical out (Realtek digitial out) -> headroom micro dac -> graham slee solo ultra linear amp (linear power supply) -> HD650

Same question as 7 years ago, how much would I benefit from an upgrade? I think the dac is my weakest point?

The micro dac was designed as a portable dac. I'm using it in a desk setup with its linear power supply, but I often wonder whether I'd benefit from an upgrade.
http://www.laaudiofile.com/headroom_microamp.html
"Once the digital input is selected it goes to a Cirrus Logic CS4398 D/A converter that is specified with a dynamic range of 120dB with a THD+Noise of -107dB. The audio output stage uses an independent Burr Brown OPA134 opamp on each channel to drive the line level output."

I notice that there is now a "help and recommendations" forum. Please would a mod move this thread there?

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Hey Sithuk I'm not sure why you've never received any replies but I'll jump in since I've owned and used the Headroom Micro Dac. I remember really liking my micro stack and only found it lacking to drive my K701's, which I never really found anything to get those headphones to exactly where I want them so I ended up selling those. I usually tell people to keep what they have if they like the sound but 7+ years in DAC technology is a pretty long time so I'll give you my 2¢. If I were in your position I would get a Schiit Modi Multibit (http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2) and a Schiit Loki (http://www.schiit.com/products/loki). The Multibit technology in the DAC is a new approach and I don't think you can go wrong with this little guy in your chain. I don't have a Loki yet but I plan on getting one as soon as I can figure out how to integrate it into one of my systems. It's an analog equalizer and from the Head-fi discussion threads people seem to love it for bringing out the best in their HD650's.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks mbritt, that's a really helpful recommendation. I wasn't aware of the new "multibit" DAC technology. It looks like the technology has moved on since the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC in my headroom microdac.

It looks like I should consider either the Modi Multibit ($249) or the Bifrost Multibit ($599). I haven't been able to find a comparison between the two. Do you know if the $300 extra is worth it given the rest of my chain, or where I can find a comparison thread that reviews the differences?

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 7
I think there are multiple threads about the differences in those DACs from people with more experience and listening time than myself. My original recommendation still stands to get the Loki for your rig. I think that will make more of a sonic difference than the bigger DAC. Again, just my 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back