Headroom micro DAC turns my headphones into speakers
Aug 13, 2009 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll make it short and sweet. I own HD650s with cardas cable, HD800... Headroom Maxed Out Home w/reference module + stepped attenuator... and the micro DAC.

Switching to a dedicated DAC made by Headroom brings my HD800s to life... and also I notice great improvement with HD650s as well. Much more detailed, lively, dynamic, clean... and incredible extended low end with great articulation and balance. Very neutral.

Listening to my HD800s on my old sources just didn't cut it - I own sound cards in the $200-400 range, including the M-Audio Audiophile Firewire, which I thought was a good source until I tried the DAC. The HD800 just doesn't sound good on it at all.

I feel like I'm listening to a live performance or speakers now with this new source, the soundstaging and imaging is THAT much better. The improvement in sound quality from upgrading DAC is so good that it's competing with any digital source out there... I'd take it over any $4000 CD player.

The sound's so good that it's hard to get motivated to do anything else... other than enjoy the music.

-Geek

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 8
I sold some really musical DAC's after using the micro DAC. I've got two of the 9 volt units and an A/C version is on the way. This piece of equipment is way underrated......... I really like the ability to use them with an Apple Airport Express and Optical feed. Try it you'll like it....

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound's so good that it's hard to get motivated to do anything else... other than enjoy the music.

-Geek

Sorry about your wallet ... er ... job.

You're welcome.
atsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 8
There's also the brand new Ultra Desktop Dac. I was wondering if that's the one he was referring to. I already have an Ultra Micro Dac.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Just the small $333 micro DAC. I'm planning on upgrading to BUDDAH in a bit, perhaps early next year.. need a little bit more cash though
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back