headroom micro dac any cheaper dac that beats it?
Mar 2, 2007 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
I am going to run it either via USB or via digital out on my X-Fi for my gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
. If that is to hazard I may just skip that and only run usb for music and movies...

headroom micro dac is 299$ it seems. It´s goign to go along with my heed CanAmp and Ultrasone Proline 750 headphones.

I could get something like EMU 0404 external usb soundcard as well it would fight the EMI I am getting in my computer but will not be usable for gaming...

It´s a bit cheaper is the Headroom Micro DAC good enough to being a senseable upgrade from X-fi or is there anything else that is more senseable?

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 20
I am in the same boat with you. Not sure what DAC to get. I hear great things about the Micro DAC. 0404 looks like a decent choice too. Fubar II and the MD10 are some others to consider. It's down to those 4 for me.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 20
Answer: the Zhaolu 2.5 with the discrete amp upgrade. The 2.5C uses the same chip and several other components with the MicroDAC, but has a better power supply. The 2.5A is better (to my ears) than the 2.5C, and is even cheaper.

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 20
where can you get that? not diy
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 20
i am not really sure an external dac will give you better sound quality compare to an XFI alone in games.

with USB you will use more CPU power and a lot of games uses creative specific effects that are hardware on the XFI but won't be on a usb dac ....

why buy a gamer's sound card if you won't use it?

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by regis helaine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am not really sure an external dac will give you better sound quality compare to an XFI alone in games.

with USB you will use more CPU power and a lot of games uses creative specific effects that are hardware on the XFI but won't be on a usb dac ....

why buy a gamer's sound card if you won't use it?

the DAC does indeed improve the sound quality for gaming. also, a lot of games have music in them. the DAC transforms this music.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can you get that? not diy
tongue.gif

i got mine from Eddy at http://diykits.com.hk. there is also a North American dealer but it's cheapest to get it shipped from Hong Kong.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 20
the point on getting that is so I can use it with my xfi too...

coaxial/optical x-fi hopefully get rid of the damn crackles in left speaker, usb music...

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got mine from Eddy at http://diykits.com.hk. there is also a North American dealer but it's cheapest to get it shipped from Hong Kong.

ah yes that was cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif
the psu is built in it don´t cost extra or something? Have you heard the headroom micro dac?

As for Opamps I am kind of lost I guess I would want Opamps that don´t colour the sound to much since I am going for the heed Canamp
smily_headphones1.gif

headroom micro dac worked well with it I have heard don´t know what opamps it use.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the point on getting that is so I can use it with my xfi too...

coaxial/optical x-fi hopefully get rid of the damn crackles in left speaker, usb music...

as much as i recommend the Zhaolu, there's also another good option. This is to modify the X-Fi to have much better sound quality and use the internal DAC on the X-Fi instead of an external DAC. Then use the money you saved by not having to buy an external DAC on a better amp, such as a Dynahi or a good tube amp.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 20
I would build my own soundcard worth 1000$ if I could
smily_headphones1.gif

No DIY it won´t work with me lol

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Answer: the Zhaolu 2.5 with the discrete amp upgrade. The 2.5C uses the same chip and several other components with the MicroDAC, but has a better power supply. The 2.5A is better (to my ears) than the 2.5C, and is even cheaper.

i have a question about this since im contemplating purchasing one in the near future, wouldnt the descrete amp upgrade only be useful if using the headphone amp output of the zhaolu? if your just planning on using the output straight from the dac that upgrade doesnt affect the sq right? or does that mean the amp module is seperated from the dac output? im in the process of trying to learn some of the technical stuff.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a question about this since im contemplating purchasing one in the near future, wouldnt the descrete amp upgrade only be useful if using the headphone amp output of the zhaolu? if your just planning on using the output straight from the dac that upgrade doesnt affect the sq right? or does that mean the amp module is seperated from the dac output? im in the process of trying to learn some of the technical stuff.
rolleyes.gif

right. also, on the back of the zhaolu there is both the lline out (unamped) and preamp (amped) RCAs.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 20
Unless the USB input on the DAC is a must, then my favourite giant slayer DAC is the T7510. The MKIII version is causing quite a few high-end DAC owners to consider their expensive units and sticking to just the TC-7510. Do a search on this and many other forums. If it is audible improvements you are after, then there isn't anything I can think of that can beat the MKIII below U$500. There are also a very few below U$2K that can touch it as well!!! And judging by some of the mods seen done on the TC-7510 on the net it is getting quite a following.
I am not saying that the other DACs in your sight are no good. But they have a long way to go before they can match the MKIII in terms of audio detail and resolution. Those are important things to me.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

i just bought a 2.5a with discreet upgrade from eddie at diykits; also got a pc link usb-converter, supposed to be bitperfect, if you don't have a coax or digital out. came to like $270 shipped for everything, and remember your'e getting a solid amp there as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back