Headroom Micro DAC and problem with USB input.
May 17, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 23
May 19, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 23
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I did finally get it working nicely by turning of the video hardware acceleration. So it seems there is indeed something funny about the video and usb on this particular machine. However I am still at a loss to understand why it works on my buddy's identical notebook hardware wise.

One more question if anyone is still reading this thread. How do I use the DAC under linux. I know linux a bit but still a bit of a noob to it. I can see that linux sees the DAC, but I don't know how to and which app/player to use to play my flac files and send them to the DAC?

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

May 19, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 23
You problem is very similiar to what I experienced few years ago with my Creative NX, and after I reinstalled my windows this problem just went away. Very very weird I know. I think this might have to do with Windows.

and another question.

I am from Canada as well, and I want this baby badly. I was wondering if you paid any duty.

May 20, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 23
Hi, I can't figure out this duty business.
I got lucky this time around and didn't pay any duty.
But when I got the Micro Amp last year, I did pay about $25 or something.
I don't know how they decide.
Anyway it won't be much if they make you pay. And the DAC is quite wonderful, I am very happy to have purchased it even with the stupid problem I have (it's not the DACs fault).

-- Sanjay

May 20, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 23
Hi, thanks for the reply on the duty, and I just placed my order.

by the way, you sound like you are using Windows XP. I already moved to the Vista, and I hope this DAC will work fine with Vista. I will let you know once I got it.

May 20, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, thanks for the reply on the duty, and I just placed my order.

by the way, you sound like you are using Windows XP. I already moved to the Vista, and I hope this DAC will work fine with Vista. I will let you know once I got it.

I have Vista on my desktop at home and the DAC works fine with it. The notebook is from work and it has XP which off course I can't change unless I want to get in trouble.

But I am slowly trying to move to linux and I got the DAC working on OpenSuse 10.2 on Friday last. Now I just need to find a nicer app that works with cue+flac images like foobar 2000 on Windows.

-- Sanjay

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by schugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Vista on my desktop at home and the DAC works fine with it. The notebook is from work and it has XP which off course I can't change unless I want to get in trouble.

But I am slowly trying to move to linux and I got the DAC working on OpenSuse 10.2 on Friday last. Now I just need to find a nicer app that works with cue+flac images like foobar 2000 on Windows.

-- Sanjay

I don't know about the SUSE/KDE side of things as well... (I know there are some good KDE apps, too...) But I can vouch for the easiness of Sound Juicer under Gnome as defaultly installed by Ubuntu. It will rip to all your favorite formats and is simple yet quite flexible.

Ubuntu is an excellent operating system.

@OP: I would think it would be a buffer or driver type of problem. I've had terrible luck with proper audio output under Windows the times I've attempted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back