Headroom Micro arrived
Jul 15, 2005 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

stevieo

500+ Head-Fier
i received a Micro Amp with the Desktop Module form Headroom yesterday & it has been burning in overnight & it is a winner, imo. the gain switch is perfect for switching from senn 650's to grados. the amp has moved to top position of battery amps, imo, at least for the time being. it is quite an acheivement on Headroom's part considering all the competition of all the new portable amp models that have hit the market in the last couple of years. the clarity, midrange warmth & detail, highs & lows are excellent as is the soundstage. piano clarity & detail are strikingly good. the best piano i have heard yet in a portable amp. there is no additional cost for the optional desktop module which takes the amp from pretty good to petty damn good. a wall wart is included, either 110 or 230 & the amp has crossfeed whether you want it or not. the package price is very reasonable for what you get.

if i ever use a computer as a source i would probably have to give serious consideration to Headroom's Desktop Amp, DAC & outboard power supply unit. i never listen to music from computers but i had a chance to hear the Headroom Desktop Amp & DAC with a computer & i may have to seriously think about a computer as a source. the sound was surprisingly good.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 44
i saw the August Stereophile lately, and on the first page of the convention report i saw Headroom's microstack with the iriver on top held in bliss by a fellow with recabled HD650s (looked like cardas). 'grats on a fine purchase and some well deserved publicity too!

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 44
Do you think the Micro Amp with Desktop Module is a competitive option as a home-based amp too? (compared to other amps in its price range)

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 44
It's nice to see you are enjoying your new toy. I never knew whether the micro we had at the meet had the desktop module or not. I never tried to compare it to anyother portables or desktop amp while it was here. Independant of comparing to any other amps, I thought it did a nice job. My only complaint was the size. I still think it is more in the category of transportable. Then again, I didn't really like the idea of carrying an sr-71 or sm v.1 with me either, although I have and it wasn't a problem. That is just my preference. I believe the new portables, Hornet and AE-1 are more the size of the type of amp I would consider carrying around with me.

Keep us advised as it burns and enjoy. Do you have The Last Concert - Modern Jazz Quartet? I bet it would sound great with the micro.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 44
jahn,

i heard the Headroom stack with the iriver at the long island meet. the iriver had a digital out & it sounded unbelievable. that's what is leading me towards a computer as a source after hearing that rig as well. a digital out on an ipod would be an absolute killer. that would be one hell of a mod if it could be done.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Do you think the Micro Amp with Desktop Module is a competitive option as a home-based amp too? (compared to other amps in its price range)

based on what Tyll has said, I think so.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
jahn,

i heard the Headroom stack with the iriver at the long island meet. the iriver had a digital out & it sounded unbelievable. that's what is leading me towards a computer as a source after hearing that rig as well. a digital out on an ipod would be an absolute killer. that would be one hell of a mod if it could be done.

Yep that's the only thing holding me back from getting a portable DAC right now - freaking ipod doesn't support it! Ridiculous!

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 44
tyrion,

it is not a "toy", yeah right!. you know i take my music seriously. boys & their toys!! i agree about it's larger size almost being transportable compared to the minature amps on the market today but not anywhere near the size & weight of what i consider transpotables -- the Corda HA-2 is larger & does not run on batteries & the Headroom Cosmic was a transportable that was much larger & ran on a C or D cell battery pack & it was too cumbersome for my flight bag eventhough it sounded great. i have used a lot of other smaller amps for carry size and weight reasons but the slight size & weight difference of the Micro with desktop module is overshadowed by it's sound characterisics. i too am waiting for a smaller amp that sounds as good as a Micro. i'll sacrifice a little size & weight for an amp that sounds this good. i would also sacrifice a little bit on the sound for a much smaller amp that would come very close to the Micro. but right now i have not heard a smaller amp that is close enough to make the sacrifice.

btw, the Micro at the florida meet did not have the desktop module. there i a huge difference in sound quality. they are two entirly different amps.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 44
It is a shame that the ipod doesn't support an opitcal out for use with an external dac. I used the micro dac with my computer/itunes/apple lossless and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't have a CI VDA-1 anymore but based upon recollection I don't recall it being any better than the micro dac.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
...My only complaint was the size. I still think it is more in the category of transportable. Then again, I didn't really like the idea of carrying an sr-71 or sm v.1 with me either, although I have and it wasn't a problem. That is just my preference. I believe the new portables, Hornet and AE-1 are more the size of the type of amp I would consider carrying around with me.

The Micro is only slightly more bulky than the SR-71, but I agree that I would rather carry around something smaller. The AE-1 protoype is around the same size as the SR-71.

As for sound, the Micro w/ desktop module hits the spot. Teerawit, my use of the Micro so far has been exclusively home based with larger cans and I think it is competitive with any amp in its price range, whether home or portable.

stevieo, glad you are enjoying your amp
eggosmile.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The Micro is only slightly more bulky than the SR-71, but I agree that I would rather carry around something smaller. The AE-1 protoype is around the same size as the SR-71.

As for sound, the Micro w/ desktop module hits the spot. Teerawit, my use of the Micro so far has been exclusively home based with larger cans and I think it is competitive with any amp in its price range, whether home or portable.

stevieo, glad you are enjoying your amp
eggosmile.gif

I thought the AE-1 was smaller, my mistake.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

it could quite possibly be used as a home-based amp. i have been listening to it with the senn 650 out of an ipod line out & it is unbeatable at the price & comes with a wall wart. i have not listend to it yet through a cd player so i can not be certain. i suspect a good source cd player will only sound better. so yeah, i would say it would be a good home-based amp at the price. it sounds good enough for that use & better than many. i don't know of any other amps in the $300 price range that could be used as a home-based amp except some used "plug-in" amps if you can find one at that price.

the pricing of Headroom's Desktop, Dac & PSU gets lofty. but for the money, yeah, the Micro with desktop module would make a good home-based amp, imo. besides, i think a Headroom DAC can be added & possibly the external PSU as future upgrades.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye
Someone needs to do a comparison already between Micro Amp/Desktop module and Gilmore Lite! I am really on the fence trying to figure out which $300 amp to get at this point.

Why dont you take the initiative? Get them both, spend some time with them, keep the one you like better. You are well within your rights and you will be able to use your ears to judge...nothing more you can possibly do to make the right decision.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Why dont you take the initiative? Get them both, spend some time with them, keep the one you like better. You are well within your rights and you will be able to use your ears to judge...nothing more you can possibly do to make the right decision.

Good point and very tempting, although I might just wait it out for the SoCal meet in August and listen to them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back