Headroom Micro Amp vs RAS Hornet
Jan 9, 2007 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

No Deal

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone compared these amplifiers and, other that physical size, are there any significant differences/preferences? I own the Micro Amp. I am considering the purchase of a Hornet.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 9
there are tons of portable amp comparison threads and also Hornet vs. Micro threads. Just search for "headroom micro hornet" and voila.

here is a good one Hornet vs. Micro

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are tons of portable amp comparison threads and also Hornet vs. Micro threads. Just search for "headroom micro hornet" and voila.

here is a good one Hornet vs. Micro

Thank you.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, the RSA Hornet "M" is a superior sounding amp than the HeadRoom Micro Amp even if you get the 2006 Desktop Module. I found the bass to be deeper and more defined, the soundstage is wider, and it extends more. In addition it is a lot smaller, and it has a built in charger. The only thing you loose is the crossfeed feature.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 9
I'll be getting a Hornet soon. I just PayPal'd the money over to Mr. Samuels, and he says he'll ship the day after the money is received. I figure I'll get it Monday, since he's going to Fed-Ex it, and I don't know if they deliver on Saturday.

Anyway, I also own the HeadRoom Micro Headphone Amp with Desktop Module. After I get my Hornet burnt in, I will publish a comparison in which I use the DT880 and K601 as headphones. For giggles and grins I might throw in the E4c just because it is an IEM.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For giggles and grins I might throw in the E4c just because it is an IEM.

Don't underestimate the sound of the E4 with the Hornet. It is absolutely superb. You are going to like it, trust me on that one
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks again for the feedback.

I have quickly grown tired of lugging my Micro Amp/Micro DAC setup through airports. Yes, I do have the bag that is made for the setup but I belive what I have read elsewhere. This is a "transportable" setup and not a "portable" setup.

I have been concerned that giving up the optical Micro Stack setup for more portability was too big a sacrifice to make but I believe I may try it anyway. My ALO cotton is on the way. The Hornet, my H120, the cotton and my Ety 4s will fit nicely into a much lighter and more portable Crumpler bagged setup.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 9
The Hornet is a more forward sounding amp, that is, it makes music a bit more exciting and in-your-face. I don't think neutral presentation and utmost accuracy is its mission. I prefer my Micro as a reference but the Hornet is definitely preferable to the Micro in terms of IEM and on-the-go use for the size and battery life issues alone. For a portable rig, you want the sound to be larger than life anyway to stand out against background noise. It's seem to bring out the inner-"Gradoness" out of any headphone in terms of impact, and dynamics. For a more neutral reference type sound, you'll want to go to the larger SR-71.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back