Headroom Micro Amp/ Other Amp suggestions anyone?
Jun 4, 2005 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lorenzo

New Head-Fier
I ordered this a few days ago, and the wait is killing me!

But has anyone else ordered this, and if you have, have you received one yet? I understand they are currently still in limited production, but I think I read a thread that said a few examples went out already.

Also, if anyone has a comparison between this and the Supermacro 3, it would be great. My choice was between those two, and I ultimately went to the Headroom because it was slightly cheaper and looked to be more rugged. Not to mention the possibility of buying a matching DAC when I'm ready. But the more I think of it, the prospect of being able to easilly swap out op-amps, recharging capabilities, and SMALL size is looking more appealing every day.

Not to mention Dr. Xin is a doctor....HAHAH!

Also, does anyone else have any recommendations for amps in the $3-400 range? Other than the Supermacro 3, the Headroom Micro, Porta Corda MKIII, and the Gilmore Lite, there doesn't seem to be that many. And portability is a plus. The Gilmore doesn't seem to be "true" portable to me since you cannot use batteries....

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 8
You may want to check ouk Shellbrook Labs offerings. I currently have the Ascent and have just ordered the smaller more portable Maxi Moy Signature Edition. The Ascent is an amazing amp for all types of music. Until I listened to the Ascent, I was using a Creek OBH-SE11 with the OBH-2 premium power supply. While the Creek is an excellent amplifier, the Ascent is simply amazing at reproducing audio. Headphones I have used with both are: Sen 580's, Grado 60, 225, RS-2 and Shure E5's.

I am eagerly looking forward to my Maxi Moy.
My Creek is up for sale on eBay.

Give Shellbrook a look. www.shellbrooklab.com

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
What about the Hybrid? It looks to be in the same price range, and having a small tube amp seems to be desireable, especially for the price to entry...

But what interests me is that Super Mini Moy for under $100. Looks to be a great even MORE portable solution in situations where bringing my Beyers would be unfeasible or foolish.

I'll have to see what people are saying about these. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

It's a little bit high on the price range though, and I've read reviews that state the SuperMacro does the things the SR-71 does, but as good or better. And replaceable op-amps sounds appealing.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! too many options!

you guys are creating a monster!

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 8
I agree with Dr. gilmore in that opamp are inherently not suitable for high quality audio equipments, more so for low impedence cans. Recommendation: (gilmore lite or Dynahi)

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 8
At this point I personally would probably wait for the introduction of HeadAmp's new portable. If Justin can find a way to tame the power consumption of the Gilmore design and get it into a true portable it should be very, very interesting...

Off topic, when I realize how many alternatives for excellent sound we now have availbe relatively inexpensively it really amazes me, especially in the portable realm which was terribly compromised for a long time...

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 8
tame power requirement for bipolar? then you might as well go back to the 3 channel design of PPA/Pimeta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back