HeadRoom Micro Amp, ER4S, and hiss
Oct 5, 2005 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jeffc

New Head-Fier
I just noticed this, but with my Headroom Micro Amp (with the desktop module) and the ER4S, there's a little hiss. Has anybody else experienced this? I noticed it when I was in a quiet room.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 10
Try setting the gain switch to Low.

Oct 6, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 10
i use a headroom micro with desktop module & ety er4s with an ipod with a pocket dock line out as my portable rig & i don't have any hiss. i use the gain set to high & sometimes medium & cross feed off at all times. you should not have any hiss.

Oct 6, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 10
If he's using the wall wart, and it's connected to an outlet that has something like a light with a noisy dimmer switch (or anything else that creates that kind of noise in the AC line), it will buzz/hiss in the amp irrespective of the gain/volume setting. Try running it off a fresh set of batteries and see if the noise goes away.

Oct 7, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
The suggestions to switch to the low gain setting are right on the money. If you're still hearing some noise, send me an e-mail. jamey@headphone.com

I'm using the low gain setting. The hiss is very subtle---I can tell when the amplifier is on or off. But, because it's only audible at the end of tracks where the sound is digitally silenced and I must be in a quiet room, the hiss doesn't bother me. This really wasn't a complaint, I was wondering if anybody else had heard this very low-level noise from the Microamp when paired with an Etymotic ER4S.

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I still suggest you e-mail jamey... with an impedence of 100 ohms, there shouldn't be any audible hiss generated by the amp. Please tell us what power source you are using, and if it makes a difference switching from the brick to batteries and vice versa.

I hear it w/ an iPod or a MicroDAC as a source. It doesn't matter if I'm using 9V batteries (for both the MicroDAC and MicroAMP) or if I'm using the included wall-wart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back