Headroom Maxed Desktop vs Gilmore Lite- two different classes of amp?
Aug 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
Would you say that the Headroom Maxed-out Desktop amp and the Gilmore Lite (both with their respective DPS) are in the same class of amp? Ignore for now the fact that the Headroom amp can be outfitted with a DAC.

Why do I ask? Because the Glite+DPS is not cheap at $600, and once you stack phones on top of that you're into the $1000 range and I figure that if you're going to spend that much, you may as well consider getting a digital-capable option.

Which brings about the HR Desktop amp, which can be outfitted with a DAC. But again $2k is pretty expensive however considering that if it is a considerably better amp, it'd have better "lasting power" and that it might be a better investment as I wouldn't be putting $1k into a system that I'd eventually abandon later on as I went DAC or higher end.

Is a maxed-out Desktop amp too much amp if using an iPod line-out as a source? What about an iMod iPod (or DIYMod)? Considering this as a source, would the Glite+DPS be a better overall match?

I've been all over the map while considering amps/headphones and it seems like I'm coming around full circle heh.

Ruahrc

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruahrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a maxed-out Desktop amp too much amp if using an iPod line-out as a source?

i would say yes. the two seem to be quite disproportionate in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back