Headroom Max as a preamp
May 8, 2005 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Brandon_Ottawa

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the 1st phase of building a very decent 2 channel speaker based setup. I am going to spend my entire budget on the amp and speakers. I found an awesome deal on a pair of tube monoblocks that I have my heart set on (VTL MB-450's). The VTL's are going to drive a pair of Avalons.

Here's the problem...I do not have a decent preamp and really can't initally afford the preamp that I really want. So, I was planning on using my Headroom Max with a loop out as the preamp. Question...would the Max be a decent preamp for my set-up? Would I be able to live with the max for a year or two, or would it severely limit my system?

Any comments welcome.

May 9, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 4
I think...and think is the answer here is that as long as the amp doesnt put out to much volume then try it out as a 1/4 to rca jack from the head out.

I believe loop out does not control volume? if so then whats the point of a preamp with no volume control.

I use my hr2 as a preamp alot, I do it through the head out.
there is better but for now in my growing speaker setup it works.

contact Tyll or Jamie at headroom to get your final answer, and let us know what that is.

sorry for the post if it didnt help any
plainface.gif

May 9, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 4
I think he was just referring to the type of MAX he has... a MAX with the loop out option vs the MAX with two selectable inputs.

The MAX has preamp outputs and I dont see why it couldnt function as a stop gap preamp until you can get what you want. I used the preamp outs on my old MOH before and they werent great.... but they werent terrible either. The main debit using the MAX as a preamp, IMO, will be the treble. But the amp/ speaker combo your using will be awesome
cool.gif
and should hide that flaw to a good degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back