Headroom MAX AMP and DAC paired with GRADO RS-1?
Nov 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mr. nice

500+ Head-Fier
anybody have an experience with it. I am interested in buying this AMP with the upgraded DAC and would like to know how it sounds b4 i drop this kind of dinero
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 10
Considering the fact that the Headroom folks aren't big Grado fans (at least according to their website reviews) I imagine that it wouldn't be the best pairing. My understanding is that their amps are more suited to Sennheisers and AKGs. But I think it might be worthwhile to just call them up and ask them. They're known for their honesty, and I've heard that they actually try to talk people out of buying amps that they don't think those people will like, because they want to avoid returns.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 10
I have not heard the newer headroom amps ...so take this for what its worth.
I always thought the Max(and other HR amps) were much nicer with the Senns.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 10
I would also have to agree that Grados and HR amps are not the best match. I can't speak for the RS-1s but my HR Desktop (with Max DAC and amp modules) does not sound that good with my lowly Grado SR60s. Grados seem to work quite well with other amps, such as various Headamp models - my SR60s sound amazing with both my GS-1 and AE-2 (portable) amps. I can only imagine how great the RS-1s might sound. This is just my own opinion though, and if you do a search, I think you'll find a lot of recommendations for great amps that match with the RS-1 -- but I doubt you will see many HR amps among these.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 10
yeah i though the same thing about headroom and senns. i was thinking of a kinda high quality all in one solution with Head Amp and DAC included. I was digging the headamp GS-1 but see that it has unbalanced ins where as i would need balanced ins to connect ot my gear.....

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 10
can anyone elaborate any more on these comments made between HeadRoom amps and Grado headphones on why they do not pair well together?

before purchasing the 2006 MicroAmp and DAC I had heard HeadRoom preferred Senn's and possibly tweaked their sound towards Senn's. the fact remains they still sale every model Grado headphone and one of their long running packaged systems was the MicroAmp and SR-60's(which is marked high on their list).

I forget exactly what HeadRoom said when I purchased me 2006 MicroAmp but this was one of the concerns I had from things said. Mike at HR told me he preferred the AKG 701's over Grado's and something like Grado's would sound great with their amps.

later on just before I got me Grado's 225's I had the pleasure of receiving a set of HD-595's from a friend to use with me MicroAmp and DAC. even though the HD-595's grew on me but from right off the bat I still preferred me SR-80's over the HD-595's with me MicroStack rig. the MicroStack took that sharp edge off me SR-80's from using no amp at all. now I have the RS-1's and not that a better amp would bring out the best in them, I think they sound great with the MicroStack.

I thought one of the reasons HeadRoom steps down the RS-1 is that they prefer a couple of headphones that can be purchased for cheaper than the RS-1's that also sound better to them. one of the same reasons Head-Fi members prefer other amps over HeadRoom.

I am now myself looking to move up the HeadRoom ladder to a better amp for the RS-1's. the only other amps I see that I really like is Ray Samuels but I always look back to HeadRoom. amps that I see recommended for RS-1's are tube amps. now what about solid state amps, who's solid state amps sound best with Grado's? I thought the HeadAmp/ Gilmore amps were a brighter amp and that warmer amps are preferred with Grado's?

maybe this would be a good thread to get from the horses mouth in the HeadRoom forums.

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah i though the same thing about headroom and senns. i was thinking of a kinda high quality all in one solution with Head Amp and DAC included. I was digging the headamp GS-1 but see that it has unbalanced ins where as i would need balanced ins to connect ot my gear.....

mr. nice, you should contact Justin W. and see if XLR jacks are an option on the GS-1.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mr. nice, you should contact Justin W. and see if XLR jacks are an option on the GS-1.

*** If the source is a balanced design, I believe it would be far better to truly run in balanced throughout the chain....thus a GS-X (or HR-B Desktop). AFAIK, the GS-1 is not a balanced design regardless of the connectors. If any product in the chain is not a balanced "topology", then it is a SE rig.

I have no idea how the RS-1 responds to being run balanced vs SE.
frown.gif

I would add...that if the source manufacturer only provided XLR outs...then they're tryin' to tell ya somethin'
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes, I also would get the GS-X. According to Asr it's better than the GS-1 even when not using balanced headphones. I believe OP's reason for not choosing the GS-1 was the lack of balanced inputs, I can understand this because my favorite interconnect are balanced but I have no interest at this time to have my headphones modified in any way as I perfer the ease of use of the regular headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back