Headroom Little?
Oct 12, 2001 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Galileo's Dad

Head-Fier
I've tried searching the forums, but since the words, "Headroom" and "little" are used in almost every post, I'm having trouble finding the information I'd like. I can't, for example, find a real review of the Little. I'd appreciate at least a mini-review (on both the physical characteristics (is it plastic?) and the sound (particularly in comparison to the Creek obh-11)).

Thanks, and take care.

Oct 12, 2001 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Unfortunately I have no comparison with other headphone amps other than the Total Airhead and can only report on it in combination with my AKG 501s, but here are a few thoughts

- I found that there is very little information out there (although I think when I was looking the headwize archives were down) and what is there is not enough to give a coherent impression or allow for real judgement

- you cannot argue with the build quality, it is metal, black, nothing fancy, but all very solid

- it is a lot smaller than one thinks

- there is no on/off switch and you will have to turn the volume down to avoid the pop when you unplug it or use a switchable power cord as I do

- whether it is a good choice for you depends on how important crossfeed is to you. to me it is a precondition for fatigue free listening. i agree that the change in tonal balance in the headroom crossfeed circuit is disconcerting at first, but the high pass filter eliminates the really problematic effects on the highs, so for me I always have both crossfeed and the filter turned on. As to any remaining increase in bass, at least with the AKG 501s it is not a problem

- the Little sounds much better than the Total Airhead or not using an amp

- somebody is selling one in the sales forum here for about 150 bucks, so they can be had cheap

- if you buy a new one, I have to say that the straightforward upgrade path appeals to me. You can end up with a very good amp without really paying more than if you would have gone their straight.

- I advise to just get it from Headroom and send it back if you don't like it. There is really no substitute for listening with the source, music, and headphone that you use. The process is hassle free, I first ordered a TA which I didn't like, the 2nd attempt (Little) led me to my current audio happyness.

- The sound is definitely not "exciting" but it is fatigue free and if you listen for it, all the detail is there. It is NOT dull or anything like that.

Hope that helps

Legoman

Oct 12, 2001 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 10
The Creek is a warmer device. There is a possibility that the Creek may meld better with Senns...this is based on my dissatisfaction of the SennHD600 out of the Little, where plenty have been satisfied with Senn + Creek combos. On the otherhand, there is no guarantee that I would have liked the SennHD600 that much more out of the OBH-11, since people have been satisfied with SennHD600 with TA's as well.

The Little is a fun unit...and prefer the build of the Little to the Creek as well as all the extra options. I think the Creek changes the sound more than the Little does, which may be good or bad depending on your preference. I think it takes a more discriminating ear to appreciate the sound of the Little compared to the Creek, since the Creek make pretty overt changes to sound IMO. This is of course depending on what settings the Little is using which could change the sound as well. I would have to give the better attention to detail and transparency to the Little, but smooth warmness to the Creek.

I think it is important to figure out which "default" power supply is better however. The warmth of the Creek seemed to give it an impression of having more heft for example which I think the Little may sound lacking in comparison. The Creek I remembered to have a 24V power supply even by default.

It probably depends on what headphones you want to use too. I'd have to give some of the DIY/DBSE amps like the CHA47 a big thumbs up for Grados.

Oct 12, 2001 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 10
One thing Legoman brought up should be repeated -- the Little has a MUCH better upgrade path than the Creek. You can get a better power supply, and later get an electronics upgrade... eventually you'll have a VERY good amp.

Oct 13, 2001 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gorgon_123
the ebay dude is selling it for the same price as a brand new one from Headroom...... sounds like a deal!

Look a lil closer ... comes with PS upgrade.

Oct 16, 2001 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 10
My first headphone amp was a Total Airhead!!!! and I loved it so much!!! The Crossfeed feature blew me away!! to the point I just can't live without it. Six months later I wanted to upgrade it and called Headroom (Todd), so I was looking for an affordable old Supreme or something like it..... and he told me that what he had was a mint condition LITTLE MORE POWER, which is nothing more than a Little with the optional MORE POWER SUPPLY!!!. I bought it then, and believe me.....the More Power Supply really MAKES A DIFFERENCE in the bass (not a fake bass boost) and the soundstage plus the power off option. With my Grados this amp sounds wonderful, get it while you can. You can even track my review here looking under the words "Little More Power"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back