Headroom Little: Why so little interest?
Nov 12, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #31 of 42
I think it helps it.

It seems that when knowlegdable, respected people post here about a product, any product, it can't help but start some level of interest in said product. Even if it is just speculating about various possibilities or combinations of products, it allows those of us with less experience to compare our own thoughts on these products.

I, who may have champagne tastes but a beer budget, have thought quite a bit on this very subject (the Little), but have felt disuaded by more frequent threads on either very high-end commercial amps, or the ubiquitous META's. Threads like ones about an upgrade path for a Little, or upgrade possibilities to a JM Corda HA-1, may answer alot of questions I have about amps in this price range, and may certainly persuade me into purchasing one.

I certainly don't take any one persons post or view on a product as gospel. If I read someones review of a product in which I am interested, I will also read as many other posts by that person as possible. This will allow me to get a better understanding of that persons slants and preferences, and allow me to factor that into their review. Then I take my own responsibility and make as an informed choice as possible. I would hope that anyone looking to purchase a headphone amp for $500/$1000/$2000/whatever would do a least as much.

It would also seem that a bit of lurking by a manufacturer would yield a goldmine of information on their own products and the (educated) public's perception of them. Seems like a win-win, no?

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

It seems that when knowlegdable, respected people post here about a product, any product, it can't help but start some level of interest in said product.

My wallet would agree with you here. . .

Quote:

If I read someones review of a product in which I am interested, I will also read as many other posts by that person as possible. This will allow me to get a better understanding of that persons slants and preferences, and allow me to factor that into their review. Then I take my own responsibility and make as an informed choice as possible.

Excellent point, jpelg. This is true (or should be true) not only on Head-Fi but for all reviews, be it books, movies, etc.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #33 of 42
MacDef
I think I answered this at least twice before -- but it was the new version as per the loaner program but it was the base model without the Power upgrade and Premium module.

When I did the WOH gig at Dallas, I recommended the Little to people based on the upgrade path. For me, I'd rather go without altogether a bit longer and get whatever amp I really wanted--even if I ended up wanting the Premium Little More Power - just to save the extra few bucks of not doing the upgrade. I'm cheap like that. Some people like upgrading though. I think that's ultimately why there is such a big business for interconnects.

I agree with you guys. I think when we debate any amp it's good for sales even when someone like me doesn't like it as much as other people. I'd never buy a product based on one guy's opinion on a forum and expect to be perfectly happy either. And really, when I read all positives about something, I become cynical. Diversity of opinion lends greater credibility to something for someone like me.

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #34 of 42
I had the Little. Then I got an opportunity to do a side by side with the Little and Premium Little. WOW! The Premium Little does sound a LOT better.

I think you can get the Premium Little from the HR Loaner program???? DO IT!

I do prefer the sound of the MG Head OTL though. It's a different sound, that of tubes, of course.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #35 of 42
Let me finish my component rack first, then borrow a digicam, take pictures for my meta review, and then I'll get the little for a review.

Kelly: I do take a similar view of things. Personally, I like to buy the best I can first, so that I don't spend more in the long run. The problem is, for some people, the little IS all they can afford at first.

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Kelly: I do take a similar view of things. Personally, I like to buy the best I can first, so that I don't spend more in the long run. The problem is, for some people, the little IS all they can afford at first.

The point was that someone like me will do without completely until I can afford what I really want. There are many things in my life that I don't have right now because of this. More correctly would probably be to say, "Some people are simply not willing to spend more than $259 on a headphone amp, ever" and in that case, the Little may really be the best option if you're not willing to go with a DIYer.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
More correctly would probably be to say, "Some people are simply not willing to spend more than $259 on a headphone amp, ever" and in that case, the Little may really be the best option if you're not willing to go with a DIYer.

Completely true.

One other possibility--to some people, the act of buying something is as important as what they're actually buying. So, if they buy the top of the line first, that takes away the fun (if you want to call it that) of actually buying something else. Possible proof--look at all the headphones each member on HeadFi owns. I bet there are very few members who actually own just one or two pairs (given that one pair may be for home and one pair for portable applications).

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Completely true.

One other possibility--to some people, the act of buying something is as important as what they're actually buying. So, if they buy the top of the line first, that takes away the fun (if you want to call it that) of actually buying something else. Possible proof--look at all the headphones each member on HeadFi owns. I bet there are very few members who actually own just one or two pairs (given that one pair may be for home and one pair for portable applications).

FCJ
I think this is only true for the vocal minority of headphone afficinados -- ie, us. I think most people who visit Head-Fi only have one or two pairs and most people who buy a headphone amp probably only buy one.

If I'd gotten the absolute best amp on my first amp, I do wonder what I'd have done, though. I'd have probably bought a few others anyway just to compare it to. It's kind of sick, isn't it?

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

FCJ
I think this is only true for the vocal minority of headphone afficinados -- ie, us. I think most people who visit Head-Fi only have one or two pairs and most people who buy a headphone amp probably only buy one.

If I'd gotten the absolute best amp on my first amp, I do wonder what I'd have done, though. I'd have probably bought a few others anyway just to compare it to. It's kind of sick, isn't it?

Nah, I don't think it's sick behavior. No different than anyone else with a similar hobby (or is hobby too weak a word--quest for musical excellece is more like it).

Now I'm curious about your first point. I would love to take a poll to see how many heaphones each user on Head-Fi has. And maybe I will. Even more interesting, though, would be to see if there is a correlation between number of posts and number of headphones owned.

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Now I'm curious about your first point. I would love to take a poll to see how many heaphones each user on Head-Fi has. And maybe I will. Even more interesting, though, would be to see if there is a correlation between number of posts and number of headphones owned.

The less active users don't participate in the polls.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

The less active users don't participate in the polls.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just posted the poll in "Headphones."

Oh, I know this isn't scientific at all. More curiosity than anything else.

Nov 13, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #42 of 42
OK, based on this thread I participated in the headphone poll - I voted but didn't post to it. You can see from the number of posts that I'm not that active.

I'm probably in the minority in that I own a Little.

Why did I buy it? At the time I had just bought a Naim Nait 3 and it didn't have a headphone jack. I knew I wanted the ability to use headphones so I bought the cheapest headphone amp on the market at the time - The Little. That was around 93 or 94 and I can't remember how much it was but I think it was quite a bit less than $259. I think it was around mid 100's maybe a bit higher.

I was a little disappointed that it didn't sound better than it did, but I'm reasonably satisfied with it. Given the comments, I'd love to compare a newer version vs. what I have.

I guess I have a lot of posts to go before I can participate in the loaner program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back