Headroom Grado Question
May 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TickTockMan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering purchasing a pair of Grados - either the SR-60 or the SR-80 - and I'm wondering why the SR-80 received a lower overall rating than the less expensive SR-60.

What are the rating criteria? Quality to price? Comfort?

I am more likely to be swayed one way or the other based on SQ (especially in terms of which has the broadest soundstage) more than comfort.

I would be amping whichever I might get with the latest version of the Total Airhead.

Thank you.

May 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTockMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering purchasing a pair of Grados - either the SR-60 or the SR-80 - and I'm wondering why the SR-80 received a lower overall rating than the less expensive SR-60.

What are the rating criteria? Quality to price? Comfort?

I am more likely to be swayed one way or the other based on SQ (especially in terms of which has the broadest soundstage) more than comfort.

I would be amping whichever I might get with the latest version of the Total Airhead.

Thank you.

I think because at begining price point for getting started into audio quality headphones will be the reason why the SR60's are more popular and get more favored reviews.

the bowl pads on the SR 80's and up are a plus.

a friend and head-fi member gave me his old pair of SR80's and that's how I began my affair with Grado's. from there I went to the SR225's and the RS1's.

you may first want to start off with a set of low end Grado's but you really should spend as much money as you can afford on headphones for they will be your best investment into a system. the SR225's are also a well favored step into Grado's.

May 3, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 11
HeadRoom's taste in headphones doesn't seem to be geared toward Grados, but they do seem to sell them at a great price, and I hear their customer service is good, too. As for which model to choose, I support the advice from the gentleman above. I went for the 325i, and am pleased with it.

May 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 11
I was actually wondering why the folks at Headroom themselves gave the SR-60 a higher rating. I can't imagine that they would base their review on popularity....

I agree with what you say though, and would probably lean more toward the SR-80.

Did you like the soundstage of the SR-80s you had? I really like to feel surrounded by my music, and based on what I've read, the Grados are more of a front row in your face headphone, but the Headroom price seems quite good and I'm thinking they might be a good entry level all-purpose starter for me. Up to this point, all I've used have been assorted earbuds and IEMs.

Any thoughts?

May 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

I was actually wondering why the folks at Headroom themselves gave the SR-60 a higher rating. I can't imagine that they would base their review on popularity....

I agree with what you say though, and would probably lean more toward the SR-80.

Did you like the soundstage of the SR-80s you had? I really like to feel surrounded by my music, and based on what I've read, the Grados are more of a front row in your face headphone, but the Headroom price seems quite good and I'm thinking they might be a good entry level all-purpose starter for me. Up to this point, all I've used have been assorted earbuds and IEMs.

Any thoughts?

I reckon I was speaking more in a general consensus but if you look at me statement again, read the first line in HeadRoom's review of the SR60's and then look at that 5 out of 5 Value Rating HeadRoom gives them it's all about beginning price point. in my short experience with Grado's, I have seen more articles, reviews, etc.. of the SR60 than any other Grado line. that low price point for getting into audio quality headphones makes them a popular start.

that being said, since I have had me RS1's and out of the three Grado's I own, the RS1's are the ones I want to pick up and listen with. the only other Grado's sold that I want to try are the SR325i and RS2's. that's not saying I did not like me SR80's and SR225's before I actualy heard the RS1's. out of the three steps I took, Grado's just get better further up the line.

I have never heard the SR60's but by what I have read the only real difference in them and the SR80's is the Bowl pad.

I think HeadRoom's opinion being that at the other price points the other model of Grado's are sold at, HeadRoom prefers other brands of headphones and is why their Value Ratings are lower there than with the SR60's. as Solan says above, HeadRoom in general probably prefers other brand headphones than Grado's. you just may as well too if bigger soundstage is important to you. and you just may want to spend less first to see if ya even like Grado's. the only other headphones I have had any time with are the Sennheizer HD595's. at the time I only had the SR80's to compare them with and I preffered the SR80's to the HD595's.

I'd spend more time in the headphone forums for there are lots of good threads there to read and get opinions from.

I do recommend spending as much as you can or even can't afford on your headphones no matter what brand you buy. one thing cool about Grado's is that they are all 32ohms and will sound good just about out of any output even though they will sound even better with a headphone amp. I have read where ones spent their money on RS1's first and then somewhere down the line bought their first headphone amp.

May 3, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Grados in general have a quite small soundstage. Soundstage isn't why Grado fans use Grados. Amazing upper range, speed and "in-your-face"-ness are why Grado fans use Grados.
biggrin.gif
I find the tradeoff to be worth it, though I'm in the market (eventually) for some K601s to counter my SR80s when I feel like a bit more room in my music.

May 4, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the input all.
Perhaps the Grados aren't the best route for me now, as I am looking for a roomy soundstage. Perhaps the Sennheisers..... HD555's maybe?

May 7, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 11
To our ears, the differences between the Sr-60 and Sr-80 models may come down to the differing earpad design.... in other words, they both sound fairly similar overall imho.

Given that the HeadRoom "value rating" system is weighted towards the less expensive stuff that performs well at a low pricepoint (...of course, we all expect the pricey stuff to rock!), the $69 Sr-60 receives higher value marks versus the $95 Sr-80; the Grado Sr-60 may actually represent one of the better bang-for-the-buck headphones in the industry
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

May 7, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To our ears, the differences between the Sr-60 and Sr-80 models may come down to the differing earpad design.... in other words, they both sound fairly similar overall imho.

Given that the HeadRoom "value rating" system is weighted towards the less expensive stuff that performs well at a low pricepoint (...of course, we all expect the pricey stuff to rock!), the $69 Sr-60 receives higher value marks versus the $95 Sr-80; the Grado Sr-60 may actually represent one of the better bang-for-the-buck headphones in the industry
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Have to agree with Jorge here as the SR60 is a great bang of the buck. The SR60 and SR80 do sound very similar. If you use bowls with the SR60 and do a blind test between the two it is very difficult to tell the difference. Same goes with the pads on the SR60 and SR80, it's very hard to tell the difference. If you want to upgrade from the SR60 I would go either SR225 or RS2.

May 11, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 11
This is a bit off topic, but what ever happened to the funny restrictions on shipping to other countries? I was irritated when I first saw that you wouldn't ship to the Lost City of Atlantis, but it was still funny.

Anyways, I preferred the SR60 to the SR80 when I had a chance to listen to them. I think the SR80 had just a touch more of bass kick than the SR60.

May 11, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 11
It is not that one brand of cans is overall better than another. Rather, you should have 2-3 different cans for different listening purposes. For instance:

Grado 325i for Rush and chamber music
Senn HD650 for Mozart's Requiem and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here
Westone UM1 for listening to the radio as you're walking about town

(My own set-up so far is 325i, MD5000, Atrio M8 ... and I'll probably order an RS-1 from Headroom in a little while; I would have added HD650 if the clamp didn't kill my rather wide skull)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back