HeadRoom Desktop Portable Amp?
Mar 25, 2007 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bluzeboy

500+ Head-Fier
i just bought a HeadRoom Desktop Portable Amp only
do i need the DAC also or will just the amp suffice?

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluzeboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just bought a HeadRoom Desktop Portable Amp only
do i need the DAC also or will just the amp suffice?

I would have got it fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. There wouldn't be any question then. Then maybe for all that investment I would have got a killer headphone and an amp....Something to wonder.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 11
Um... you tell us?

First off, if you've already bought it, then you didn't pick the DAC option (which is part of the ordering process), so moot point.

If you have NOT already ordered it, and are considering the DAC option - OR, if you have ordered it and are considering buying a standalone DAC, such as the HeadRoom Micro DAC, then it depends on your source(s).

A DAC is a digital-analog converter. Do any of your sources have a digital out? For instance, a computer has USB (and sometimes optical) output. Many good CD players have optical or digital coax outputs. Etc. If none of your sources have digital outs, and you're not anticipating getting a source with digital out, then a DAC would be kind of pointless.

However, if any of your sources DO have digital outputs, then a DAC might be a good idea depending on the quality of your source. A multi-thousand dollar Marantz CD player might have a better DAC then the optional DAC found in the HeadRoom Desktop Amp. On the other hand, the Desktop's DAC will almost certainly be worlds better than any laptop computer DAC.

A DAC increases the versatility of your setup, and is usually better quality than many source built-in DACs. But it totally depends on what you need and want.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 11
Just sounds like he was trigger happy. We all have been trigger happy one time or another.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 11
If you just ordered it, you might have time to call them and get a DAC added. Or start saving for a separate DAC. You will want one at some point.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 11
I think you can even send your amp back for a little cash and have it upgraded.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 11
thanks all i listen to all my cds on my pc & have hooked up to the pc they wanted 250.00$ extra for DAC,i just was wondering if the extra $ ,the DAC is an option i was it was worth it ,the amp itself sounds great.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 11
If I had the PC as the source the DAC would have been automatic IMO.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 11
I have the DAC, and I highly recommend it. I barely browse this forum anymore because I am so satisfied with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back