Headroom Desktop or Benchmark DAC-1?
May 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

flohmann

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering a single box headphone amp/DAC combination for a second system. Source will be Apple Lossless files over an Apple Airport Express (yes, jitter-prone optical output, but cheap and easy to control from my iPhone). Headphone will be my Senn HD-650.

I'm currently using the Benchmark DAC-1, which is quite capable, especially as a DAC. But it's not nearly as good as it is in my main system, where it's feeding my Headroom Blockhead. I know it's not a fair comparison, given the price difference. But I'm curious whether others have done head-to-head (pun!) comparisons between the Benchmark and Headroom Desktop Max/Ultra DAC?

Jitter rejection is likely to be important, given the Airport Express source. The Benchmark has outstanding jitter rejection. Anyone know about the HR DACs? I understand the Max DAC modules are better on that score?

May 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Are you talking about the new ultra dac separate or the ultra desktop amp/dac? If you are talking about the ultra amp/dac I am also interested.

Which DAC-1 are you currently using? The USB, PRE and HDR models have upgraded headphone amps.

May 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you talking about the new ultra dac separate or the ultra desktop amp/dac?

The desktop amp/dac combo. As I mentioned, I'm looking for a compact, single box DAC-headamp solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which DAC-1 are you currently using? The USB, PRE and HDR models have upgraded headphone amps.

I've got the original DAC-1 (no USB). It's a fine DAC, but not headphone amp isn't the measure of my Blockhead (hardly a fair fight, I know).

May 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 5
It will boil down to your personal preference. Personally I would go with a headroom amp with DAC built in since they offer repair service in case if there are future problems.

May 27, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the Desktop Balanced with the Home modules and Home DACs. Cable is APureSound V3 driving HD650s. The source is ALAC files via USB. The sound is great - truly immersive. I'm using just the Astrodyne power supply which is still very dynamic - you could get the separate Desktop PS but then you're adding more boxes. I wish this amp could be had with the Max modules and DACs but apparently that would generate too much heat. I like this amp enough that I'll probably also use it with the HD800s when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back